• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

brenda

Have had to stop even 1tsp RS am due to adrenal surges from low blood sugar through the night. Last night l took 3 drops of holy basil and was okay though still woke at 4am.

Asklipia

Have had to stop even 1tsp RS am due to adrenal surges from low blood sugar through the night. Last night l took 3 drops of holy basil and was okay though still woke at 4am.

Same here as night energy surges the first 4 nights. However, last night (5th night) I slept very well and the mind is very clear in the morning.
Maybe this will be a bumpy ride? For the moment nothing really bad happening so I go on with the experiment. Something definitely happening in the head, in a nice way. My gums, which were fine I thought, seem to have tightened up. The eyes are very free in their orbits. A couple of rough patches on my thigh getting unstuck and peeling off (maybe small fungi?).

On the unpleasant side, a vague hang-over (liver) feeling, loss of appetite, a reawakening of old pains (not dramatic and today this has disappeared) and husband in a very bad mood who has decided to stop!

How do you know the adrenal surges are from low blood sugar?
Best,
Asklipia

Gestalt

I recently wrote a guide to Resistant Starch and posted it to my website.
Lots of pretty pictures tables and charts. Summarizes many of the things throughout this thread.
Hat tip to @Ripley for the inspiration.

I will be adding more in the future as well. I am interested in summarizing the various benefits from different species/strains of bacteria as more research comes out.

Check it out here:
http://www.gestaltreality.com/2014/02/27/resistant-starch-a-concise-guide/

brenda

@Asklipia Thanks. I did well the first few weeks, and was sleeping better and enjoying my dreams which I assumed was due to increased b6. I also felt mood stabilising. However, the night time surges began so I cut back slowly on the RS until I was still having them on 1 tsp.

I guessed they are adrenaline due to the same effects of my failed attempts in treating my thyroid and could think of no other answer but low blood sugar. Eating late at night did not solve it. I do not normally suffer LBS symptoms. As for energy, there has been no discernible improvement. When I woke at 7.30am the adrenaline affect was there but much reduced since I took no RS yesterday.

Gestalt

@brenda
Here are some suggestions for the vivid dreaming experienced.

More B6 converting tryptophan to serotonin.
As to change in sleep patterns and importance of butyrate : here.

That second link is very interesting:

"The butyrate-fed mice remained lean and avoided metabolic problems. Butyrate increased their energy expenditure by increasing body heat production and modestly increasing physical activity. It also massively increased the function of their mitochondria, the tiny power plants of the cell.

Butyrate lowered their blood cholesterol by approximately 25 percent, and their triglycerides by nearly 50 percent. It lowered their fasting insulin by nearly 50 percent, and increased their insulin sensitivity by nearly 300 percent*."
The subsequent analysis of SCFA's, serotonin and T3 in regards to sleep is worth a read. Excellent find @Asklipia.

And that sums up very well why RS rocks.

One thing I have noticed with the RS is increased muscle pliability and flexibility. Muscles require ATP in order to be flexible, a lack of ATP increases muscle tightness akin to rigor mortis. I always thought the severe muscle tightness, achiness and stiffness I suffered from and tried for a decade to fix with yoga was an issue of microglial activation from ammonia toxicity. In retrospect I think may have been straight up lack of ATP.

Sleeping has been brutal for me in this regard waking up stiff as a board. I think the energy requirements for detox of all the byproducts of a candida overgrowth due to dysbiosis I had were extreme, leaving my muscles thoroughly depleted of ATP and therefore stiff and rigid. The body prioritizes energy requirements based on what it deems most important.

On another note I find this idea of polyphasic/biphasic sleep really interesting, especially in that supposedly most mammals do it. The modern adopted conventional monophasic sleep cycle based around 8 hour work-shift schedule may not be very natural in evolutionary terms and from a hormonal circadian perspective.

With RS taken 5 hours before bed time, I find I sleep only 4-6 hours, and have much more energy during the day. Sometimes I'll take a nap for 1-2 hours late afternoon/early evening. It seems like the RS and the bacteria are now coaxing me more towards this polyphasic/biphasic style of sleeping. I am going to explore this matter further.

adreno

PR activist
I have noticed many of the same things. I find I sleep less on RS, but with more energy during the day. Before RS I could sleep 10 hours and still wake up exhausted.

I've also noticed the muscle effect. Like Gestalt I have been suffering from painful, tight and achy muscles. They have felt like they are constantly laying down trigger points. I could massage the muscles until they were relaxed, but they quickly tightened up again. I ascribed this to fibrin, but maybe it could be lack of ATP. Yesterday at the gym I noticed the exercises were unusually easy, and I didn't wake up in screaming pain this morning as I usually do the day after. This is very positive.

On the downside I experience anxiety, low appetite, slight headache, nausea, tachycardia and overstimulation on the RS. I am not sure whether this is due to histamine, lactate, excess T3, excess serotonin, excess norepinephrine or something else. I think I will try to lower my SSRI dose and see how that goes. I'm literally shocked how powerful a teaspoon of potato starch can be.

Last edited:

Asklipia

Thank you @Gestalt for singling out that information out of the link I provided. When I posted I was unable to do so, though I was able to recognize that something of value was there.

One strange effect that I have when doing something that improves my well-being is that this improvement is immediately translated into many various happenings in my life.
For example, lots of guests arriving at the same time, reconnection with previous failed projects that come to fruit suddenly with no warning after years in complete standstill, a phone call from someone I did not see for 20 years, etc.
This I think is linked to a capacity of the brain to materialize reality.

This is happening to me right now on these few teaspoons of Potato Starch!!!:)
Something different is happening in the brain.

Asklipia

On the downside I experience anxiety, low appetite, slight headache, nausea, tachycardia and overstimulation on the RS. I am not sure whether this is due to histamine, lactate, excess T3, excess serotonin, excess norepinephrine or something else. I think I will try to lower my SSRI dose and see how that goes. I'm literally shocked how powerful a teaspoon of potato starch can be.

Shocking yes!!!:)
I have found that the same symptoms in myself have completely receded with a good glass of very well distilled Absinthe. Which means they could be an effect of methyl poisoning. As most should know, ethyl is the good antidote for methyl.
Meaning maybe some organisms are encouraged (maybe Candida?) and release methyl. Or Candidaare dying and release methyl? I don't remember which.
Absinthe contains herbs that kill a lot of stuff + has a lot of good ethanol as well!
Lots of good wishes :balloons:

Asklipia

With RS taken 5 hours before bed time, I find I sleep only 4-6 hours, and have much more energy during the day. Sometimes I'll take a nap for 1-2 hours late afternoon/early evening. It seems like the RS and the bacteria are now coaxing me more towards this polyphasic/biphasic style of sleeping. I am going to explore this matter further.
Same here.

maddietod

@Gestalt ...... love the blog!

Are there any reports about slower transit times? When I took my 1st 3T dose, 5 hours before bed, I was wide awake for 3 hours. My normal is easy down, wake up every 2 hours.

I'm still in early days; I started at 1/2t about a week ago, 5 hours before bed. I've had no problems other than that one 2 nights ago. I took yesterday's dose in the morning and reverted back to my 'normal' sleep. I'll try today at bedtime minus 7 hours and see what happens.

I've also had no benefits, but I'm only up to 4T as of today, one week in.

Violeta

Wow, fundamental changes are taking place. My hats off to @Ripley for bringing this to the forum, @Gestalt for introducing this to me, and everyone else for sharing their ideas and experiences. The last couple of days have given me a number of new insights into what is happening, which is making me re-think the timetable for recovery.

@Vegas,

Do tell! What's happening?

i think after some time in probiotics with RS you dont need them right?because RS feed them and double them.is it right?

xjhuez

I recently wrote a guide to Resistant Starch and posted it to my website.
Lots of pretty pictures tables and charts. Summarizes many of the things throughout this thread.
Hat tip to @Ripley for the inspiration.

I will be adding more in the future as well. I am interested in summarizing the various benefits from different species/strains of bacteria as more research comes out.

Check it out here:
http://www.gestaltreality.com/2014/02/27/resistant-starch-a-concise-guide/

Nice post.

Anecdotally, my wife and son did not react well to just 1 tsp of potato starch, while I had no reaction to it whatsoever until I moved up to 3 tbsp, but my reaction was positive.

I'm considering moving my dose timing from breakfast to 5 hours pre-bedtime to see what it does to my sleep. Taking it during the day has helped me feel better, but helping me sleep would possibly be even more beneficial.

What supplement is the "4 capsules of Greens" you mention?