1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Ripley, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    any probiotics?
  2. xjhuez

xjhuez Senior Member

Not atm. I may try an individual Bifido. The higher potency multi-bug probiotics make me feel sick.
  3. thomas_3000

thomas_3000

I'm also combining RS with psyllium, and will include GOS (bimuno.com) soon. Scroll back in this thread for rationale.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Have I misunderstood the role of psyllium? I had thought it was just a bulking agent. Is that getting fermented too?
    aimossy likes this.
  5. xjhuez

xjhuez Senior Member

I don't know, tbh. I've read various sources which claim that it is, that it isn't, or that it is but very poorly.
    Sasha likes this.
  6. thomas_3000

thomas_3000

aimossy and Sasha like this.
  7. xjhuez

xjhuez Senior Member

Sasha likes this.
  8. Gestalt

Gestalt Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks for posting that. Very interesting read however the guy's writing style is a bit hard to follow. The huge font on his blog dosen't help. I am now rather confused as to what the precise benefit of RS is...he keeps going back and forth.

So it seems bifido are NOT SCFA producers....

Is the primary benefit of RS then instead the increase in "Roseburia intestinalis" and "Eubacterium rectale" which create all the SCFA's such as butyrate?

RS's primary benefit then appears to be that it feeds/help bifido which then "cross-feed" the actual SCFA producers. A chain-reaction.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  9. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Well, RS seems to produces the most butyrate of any fermentable fiber in vivo...

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ve-been-looking-for.26976/page-23#post-428855

So, my guess is that RS gets fermented by a lot of different gut bugs. I have a feeling at this point nobody really knows exactly how it's able to produce so much butyrate.
  10. Gestalt

Gestalt Senior Member

Canada
    I think this is a good example why in vitro will give you a "better" result in terms of butyrate production specificity because it rules out confounding variables of in vivo conditions where cross-feeding occurs which can lead to erroneous cause and effect conclusions.

It's the clostrida group that does the actual SCFA production, but gets its materials from the bifido which gets them from the RS.

also:

"It isn’t as simple as feeding one species a particular substrate, and one species another. In the case of bifidobacteria — who produce lactate and also acetate — we know that certain commensal butyrate producers consume those end products (lactate and acetate) and turn around to produce butyrate. Bifidobacteria also initiate the breakdown of and then release certain fermentable fibers that are then made available to butyrate producers. (More on these two cross feeding mechanisms here: http://aem.asm.org/content/72/5/3593 .)" (source)

Vegas was interested in procuring some Bifidobacterium adolescentis.... i think I know why now.
  11. xjhuez

xjhuez Senior Member

RS3 can work for butyric and Bifidobacterium adolescentis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24056635

I suppose you can obtain lotus seed from an asian grocery, but there are probably easier and/or healthier RS3 alternatives (rice?)
  12. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Basic question: I have been trying 1 teaspoon of the Bob's Red Mill version for about 5 days but it is definitely causing constipation. My "work-around" is extra magnesium. My experiment the first day with taking an extra teaspoon later gave a lot of gut distress so I am planning to move up slowly.

Are others having this problem and, if so, does it resolve at higher doses or get worse?

Thanks,
    Sushi
    brenda likes this.
  13. Christopher

Pennsylvania
    Stop for a few days.
  14. Christopher

Pennsylvania
    I will probably be adding glucomannan from konjac root soon once it arrives from Amazon. It is a soluble fiber which is supposed to be fermented by bifidobacteria and lactobacilli.
  15. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK

Mine got better when l increased. I am now one heaped Tbsp which is 30gms not 15, l can't understand why it is said to be 15gms? Very smooth bm's now. I also started Mutaflor today which my doc advised.
  16. aprilk1869

aprilk1869 Senior Member

Scotland, UK
    Does anyone know if this potato flour from Holland and Barrett is RS? I plan on going to Waitrose today to buy the Kockens stuff and these two shops are really near each other so I thought I'd see about buying both kinds to try them out.
  17. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    It's got 77g carbs per 100g so it looks like it's the stuff - if it sinks to the bottom in water after you've stirred it in that's another indication. I use the Kockens product (some Swedish guy checked with them about their process and it's RS).
  18. aprilk1869

aprilk1869 Senior Member

Scotland, UK
    First of all I went to Waitrose and couldn't find it anywhere, looked in all the sections I could think of, baking, gravy, "free from."

So I popped along to H&B and bought the potato flour and it looks like you might be right. It sank to the bottom of the glass. :)
    Sasha likes this.
  19. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Are these products organic like Bob's Mill? Thanks.
  20. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I can't see anything that indicates that the Kockens one is (it's in Swedish or something, though!).

See more popular forum discussions.