1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Ripley, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    That product has 98g of carbs per 100g which means, as I understand it, that it's not resistant potato starch but cooked potato flour (the terms don't seem to be used very precisely in the food industry). The one you're looking for has 80g carbs per 100g.

If you can find one via Goodness Direct, they also stock tiger nuts, which everyone has been raving about on Free the Animal:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi...l/196963_Goodness_Tiger_Nuts_Peeled_250g.html

Abha and MeSci like this.
  2. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Really nice clear description of the objective there Ripley. :)

3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Just searched Amazon UK for 'resistant starch' and found this. iHerb says it's corn-based and resists digestion in the small intestine.

Amazon UK also has Bob's Red Mill, Finely Ground Potato Flour, which it says elsewhere is dehydrated whole potato.

4. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    and here's a cheap one on ebay UK.

Seek and ye shall find! :)

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Tiger nuts are a great snack. Just be sure to rehydrate them overnight if you're going to eat more than a handful or two, since they come dried.

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

But it's £25 for 500g! Kockens is £1.30 per 500g!

That's the wrong product - the resistant starch is Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch. The flour has been cooked, which destroys the resistant starch.

It would be worth getting a friend within Ocado's catchment area (any big city, probably) buy you several packets and mail it to you from elsewhere in the UK. Or email Kockens and ask if they will ship it to you from Sweden.

Abha likes this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    That's more like it! Well done, MeSci.

MeSci likes this.
  8. francis15

francis15

Hi Abha,

I came across a mention of Island Sun Farina in a comment on Richard Nickoley's blog - http://freetheanimal.com/2013/12/narrative-dreaming-resistant.html#comment-547613.

I found it on sale in the Caribbean section of a big Tesco store yesterday at 40p per 500g. Hopefully it's legit potato starch. Perhaps someone here can say if it's not.

According to this link - www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/flour/island_sun_farina_potato_starch_500g.html - Asda may also sell it.

Francis

Abha and Sasha like this.
  9. finalgates

finalgates

resistant starch feeds only bifido or lactocabillus too?because i want increased gaba and i have read lactocabillus increase gaba

10. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    It will increase both.

11. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    What l can't understand is why rs is said to be zero calories when it produces SCFA's?

12. dmholmes

dmholmes Senior Member

Houston
    SCFA in the colon that are not absorbed in the small intestine.

brenda likes this.
  13. Abha

Abha Abha

UK
    Hi Francis and others,

Thanks for your input re trying to buy potato starch in UK.Hopefully, I'll crack it soon.
    I'm not interested in USA corn(starch) as most of it is GMO...and in USA last year, GMO potatoes accounted for 4% of US production. This year, it may be almost none(from Crop Choice).China banned US corn last year as it was genetically modified.If you wish to use GMO products be aware!!!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  14. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Abha I have a Dutch grocery shop near me and I found inexpensive potato starch on the shelf. The brand stocked here (NZ) is "Honig" so maybe that one or some equivalent is available in the international section of your local supermarket?? I haven't shopped in a UK supermarket for some time so I don't know if there would be such a section!! Wishful thinking? :)
    I've seen the Honig brand referred to as raw resistant starch on a blog written by someone in the Netherlands who's been following Tatertot's adventures.. I think a lot of PS is made in the Netherlands, with high starch potatoes grown there for that purpose for some time.

Sasha and Abha like this.
  15. finalgates

finalgates

thanks for the answer.so good

16. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    I think that Bob's Mill are fussy about sources but must check.

17. Abha

Abha Abha

UK
    Hi anne_likes_red,

Thanks for your reply and thanks to others too...I finally decided on the Honig brand that you mentioned.I bought it from the site below.....good enough price but shipping everywhere adds to the cost...Thanks..

http://dutchexpatshop.com/en/food/meals/dutch-cuisine/honig-potato-starch.html

anne_likes_red likes this.
  18. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    I have sent a message to BM to ask if the potato starch is GMO.

19. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

FYI, this brand is certified as non-GMO:

http://www.ener-g.com/potato-starch-flour.html

Despite the name, I believe they claim it's pure potato starch. I think I've seen that brand in Whole Foods. As always, easiest way to tell is to put it in a glass of water and see if sinks even after a little mixing. Then heat it up and see if it gels. If so, that's potato starch.

20. satori

satori

NJ
    Ripley

DNA testing is fairly recent and microbiologists have only recently (relatively) begun to investigate intestinal flora (probably mostly becasue they're running out of Phd theses) so I don't think we have 30-40 years of the type of research we need. I would investigate enemas carefully given the lack of stomach acid to sterilize anything you put in them.

I think this is worth trying (I did), but it's not going to be the answer for everyone. I'm not the only one that's had this experience so there's at least one variable that has not been researched yet.

See more popular forum discussions.