• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

South

@Sasha I've noticed that cooked and COOLED rice digests differently for me than freshly made rice.

Freshly made rice that has never been cooled off before I eat it gives me bloating and some yeast overgrowth issues, and later that night insomnia - I think because of the ensuing overgrowth. But so far, small servings of the cooked and cooled rice don't do this (small servings only tried so far). Perhaps the cooked and cooled rice might work for you even if the usual freshly made rice doesn't?

As to oats, they don't have the same kind of RS that cooked and cooled rice or cooked and cooled potatoes do, from what I've read, although they do have soluble fiber, and some kind of odd saccharide kind of thing. But I never see oats on the same RS lists that the aformentioned specially prepared rice/potatoes are on.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Sasha I've noticed that cooked and COOLED rice digests differently for me than freshly made rice.

Freshly made rice that has never been cooled off before I eat it gives me bloating and some yeast overgrowth issues, and later that night insomnia - I think because of the ensuing overgrowth. But so far, small servings of the cooked and cooled rice don't do this (small servings only tried so far). Perhaps the cooked and cooled rice might work for you even if the usual freshly made rice doesn't?

Rice gives me eczema - also, I tried rice-cakes recently (trying to do the low-fermentable thing because of acid reflux) which presumably could be considered cooked and cooled and it made the reflux worse, so I think rice is out for me.

As to oats, they don't have the same kind of RS that cooked and cooled rice or cooked and cooled potatoes do, from what I've read, although they do have soluble fiber, and some kind of odd saccharide kind of thing. But I never see oats on the same RS lists that the aformentioned specially prepared rice/potatoes are on.

I've never seen oats come up on RS lists that I can remember.

Sidereal

But we're not eating oats for RS. The prebiotic ingredients of oats are arabinoxylan and beta glucan. If oats are making you sick, it may have nothing to do with gluten. It could just be inflammation many of us here get from every prebiotic source.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
But we're not eating oats for RS. The prebiotic ingredients of oats are arabinoxylan and beta glucan. If oats are making you sick, it may have nothing to do with gluten. It could just be inflammation many of us here get from every prebiotic source.

Sorry - thought oats were being suggested as an intracellular source of RS...

South

:rolleyes: @Sasha I sure can sympathize! Are you going to try cooked and cooled potatoes, (since they might act differently than the potato powder does), or just hold off for now?

I wish I could do green bananas, but they make my throat itch.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
:rolleyes: @Sasha I sure can sympathize! Are you going to try cooked and cooled potatoes, (since they might act differently than the potato powder does), or just hold off for now?

I wish I could do green bananas, but they make my throat itch.

I think I'm going to have to hold off on the spuds in case that's a nightshade issue and maybe make my acid reflux worse by going back on a (lowish) dose of the RS. I just charted out the last few (very tough) weeks and it seems that when I've suspended the RS (twice) I've taken a real dive. I'm in such a dive now and I need to get out of it.

Sidereal

If going without RS sends you into a total free fall why not just keep taking it and take a PPI for the reflux? Obviously it's far from ideal but sure beats being bedridden.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
If going without RS sends you into a total free fall why not just keep taking it and take a PPI for the reflux? Obviously it's far from ideal but sure beats being bedridden.

PPIs reduce diversity in the microbiome and remove your pathogen barrier (stomach acid) and have a whole ton of other downstream effects - plus I'd rather keep in the NHS diagnostic channel and if I mask the symptoms, I think that will be harder. Plus I don't want to end up in a polypharmacy situation - I'm looking to try OI meds if I can get them and I don't want a whole load of stuff interacting. Lots of reasons.

I also don't know if I've got SIBO, in which RS is probably a bad idea - I just think I need to take a low dose until I can get to the bottom of this acid reflux thing (if it has a bottom :().

Sasha

Fine, thank you
legumes have small amounts rs. Also chia seeds, mushrooms, which I'm using in addition to green bananas.

Can't have legumes... Paleo autoimmune diet... :(

@Sasha,

One thing that Paul Jaminet recommends, and I found useful, is to limit your meals within an 8 hour period so that you're basically fasting for 16 hours per day.

I get hypoglaecaemia problems... :(:(

Sidereal

PPIs reduce diversity in the microbiome and remove your pathogen barrier (stomach acid) and have a whole ton of other downstream effects - plus I'd rather keep in the NHS diagnostic channel and if I mask the symptoms, I think that will be harder. Plus I don't want to end up in a polypharmacy situation - I'm looking to try OI meds if I can get them and I don't want a whole load of stuff interacting. Lots of reasons.

Yes, I'm aware of the dangers but in my view if acid reflux, a relatively trivial problem to deal with, is the only thing standing between you and an effective treatment (RS + psyllium) which allows you to be upright more, take care of your ADLs, live independently, then the hypothetical risks of a ppi are greatly outweighed by the benefits of being able to live independently etc.

The chances of the NHS figuring this out are probably slim since your acid reflux problem seems to have been precipitated by aggressive LAB supplementation. There isn't one gastroenterologist in the world who can help with a non-conventional problem like this.

OI meds for many ME patients hardly work if they work at all.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Yes, I'm aware of the dangers but in my view if acid reflux, a relatively trivial problem to deal with, is the only thing standing between you and an effective treatment (RS + psyllium) which allows you to be upright more, take care of your ADLs, live independently, then the hypothetical risks of a ppi are greatly outweighed by the benefits of being able to live independently etc.

I don't think the risks of PPIs are hypothetical - I see them as having pretty major long-term downsides (including possible SIBO, if I don't have that already).

Sidereal said:
The chances of the NHS figuring this out are probably slim since your acid reflux problem seems to have been precipitated by aggressive LAB supplementation. There isn't one gastroenterologist in the world who can help with a non-conventional problem like this.

I don't know that it was the VSL3 (1/4 sachet/day!) that did this. Others have suggested that it was calcium supplementation leading to acid rebound. It could be an autonomic system problem, presumably. I'm being investigated (as the next NHS step) for gynae stuff that can cause reflux. I want to stay on the diagnostic pathway until it's exhausted - but I agree with you that if it's an unconventional problem then I'll probably end up with some label that describes my symptoms rather than identifies the cause.

Sidereal said:

That, and the downsides, are the reason I haven't pushed hard for trying them before now but some PWME do have very good results with them.

That said, I may start up again with a low dose of RS/psyllium today to see if I can hack it...

Sasha

Fine, thank you

I don't think the risks of PPIs are hypothetical - I see them as having pretty major long-term downsides that get initiated pretty quickly (including possible SIBO, if I don't have that already).

Sidereal said:

I don't know that it was the VSL3 (1/4 sachet/day!) that did this. Others have suggested that it was calcium supplementation leading to acid rebound. It could be an autonomic system problem, presumably. I'm being investigated (as the next NHS step) for gynae stuff that can cause reflux. I want to stay on the diagnostic pathway until it's exhausted - but I agree with you that if it's an unconventional problem then I'll probably end up with some label that describes my symptoms rather than identifies the cause.

Sidereal said:

That, and the downsides, are the reason I haven't pushed hard for trying them before now but some PWME do have very good results with them.

That said, I may start up again with a low dose of RS/psyllium today to see if I can hack it...