• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

ariel

That's interesting re the PSTD. Yes, it feels like that is at play too.
I'm finding that I'm constantly purging emotions as well. The fermentable fibres seem to be activating different parts of my brain, and all of a sudden I'll remember something like the view from my window when I was 8.
I'm finding all the emotional / memory parts exhausting as well.

@ariel and @Asklipia The way I thought to understand the connection between ME/CFS and PTSD is much simpler than yours (probably both ways affect us in reality).

Given that most people here have been sick for many years, even decades, one thing we all have experienced is post exertional symptoms (aka PEM, broadly defined to include more than just malaise). This means every time, over-exertion of any kind (physical, emotional, social, etc) leads to a worsenig of all sorts of symptoms for a period of time (= trauma). In my case, I managed to overdo things to the point were I am mostly bedridden (= really traumatic). So whenever I am feeling a bit better, I am too scared to do anything as I can't afford to get even sicker. I only feel comfortable with my activity level when I am asleep, I think.

What I am trying to say is that the ME/CFS triggers the PTSD with the repeated punishment-for-over-exertion assaults on our health. No wonder we feel uncomfortable trying out new things (such as RS) or - for those that actually get better - doing things we used to be punished for.

Hope that makes sense. My brain is not being cooperative tonight (Pacific Time Zone).

Asklipia

@Sleeping Beauty
The beauty of this is that it is not as usual, when I get punished with exhaustion by trying to do too much. I am not tired AT ALL, never mind what I do! This is very strange, because I stopped being able to have sufficient activity to live my life about 10 years ago, and now suddenly I can pick up my cleaning/selling flats/ moving/ practicing music/ cooking /teaching etc where I left it ten years ago. AND I seem to be even better at it! As if I had just spit out the poisoned apple!
This is no strange manic energy like I had on B12.
This is my normal self, strong, efficient and fast. But there is this huge drawback of fear.
This fear is not of having to pay for this extra activity with a future relapse.
This fear is a terrible fear, a fear that maybe only a child could have, the fear of a person completely helpless.

I never had such fear in my life. I am what some would consider a brave person. Never been afraid for my life, ready always to cut it short for what I believed because this is the meter of my value in this world. If this world does not want me, so be it.

I suppose I had to learn fear before I die! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
All I can say is that if this is what others feel, I am glad I spent 63 years in my own skin and not in theirs!

OMG!! I just realized that this is the necessary lesson to learn for warriors like me?
Gulp!

Gondwanaland

Yes, but only 500mg because I don't like the way it makes me feel.
Yeah :cautious: What is up with that? I must keep it at 100mg. When I tried 200mg it was weird :alien:

I couldn't describe on my log what I felt. First 100mg = clearer mind and vision; repeated dose = Most of the candida species require biotin for growth

That's why I asked in post #2977 about Lysine -> biotin -> feeding candida, but did not understand any of the two answers I got :redface:

whodathunkit

So whenever I am feeling a bit better, I am too scared to do anything as I can't afford to get even sicker. I only feel comfortable with my activity level when I am asleep, I think.
Yep, that's me. Even though I am feeling much better I still live in fear that tomorrow is going to snatch it all away from me. Happened too many times in the past.

Another thing to call this phenomenon is "learned helplessness". Circumstances prevent anything you do or try from being effective, so you just give up. It's definitely hard to "unlearn" it.

I do get the PTSD angle, though. Definitely I have it from my house. I still get panicky and feel like I want to run screaming away from it the minute I start to have trouble with even the most routine chore. That impulse is getting a little weaker and less frequent, and does not trigger as easily as it used to, but it's still a big factor for me. I have real trouble keeping my house clean because of it.

Never been afraid for my life, ready always to cut it short for what I believed because this is the meter of my value in this world. If this world does not want me, so be it.
Ever consider you had a toxoplasmosis infection from early on, and maybe now it's getting better from the Sanum and other stuff you've been doing?

I have always been this way, too (reputation for fearlessness bordering on recklessness in most things). Studies show that toxoplasmosis infection can impart this personality trait in people. My family has always had cats so I definitely think I have it. Dunno if that's the case with you or not.

Just thinking out loud.

Asklipia

Ever consider you had a toxoplasmosis infection from early on, and maybe now it's getting better from the Sanum and other stuff you've been doing?

I have always been this way, too (reputation for fearlessness bordering on recklessness in most things). Studies show that toxoplasmosis infection can impart this personality trait in people. My family has always had cats so I definitely think I have it. Dunno if that's the case with you or not.

Just thinking out loud.
Yes, right on. Toxoplasmosis in the womb. Half blind at birth and fearless. Cat lover as well, but I love them as equals, not as pets, do not care too much for their survival. Not more than mine anyway.
:cat::devil::cat::devil:

Not a dancing mouse anymore.
Monday evening. Bliss. No more fear. Everything is going as planned.
Good luck to all.
Asklipia
:balloons::):balloons:
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Asklipia

I do get the PTSD angle, though. Definitely I have it from my house. I still get panicky and feel like I want to run screaming away from it the minute I start to have trouble with even the most routine chore. That impulse is getting a little weaker and less frequent, and does not trigger as easily as it used to, but it's still a big factor for me. I have real trouble keeping my house clean because of it.
Yes, same for me.
The HOUSE is frightening. The future of the house, what may happen to it if I don't watch it very closely. It is not a protective shell any more, rather a dangerous living thing that will outlive me for many many years and does not particularly like me, on the contrary, it is vaguely hostile.
A part of my energy goes into making sure it stays tame.
Interestingly, I do not feel this everywhere! I just rented another house near the sea for holidays and I feel perfectly safe there.
I suspect that this hostility may be due to something environmental, maybe mold?
Maybe this is the case with your house too? Now that I feel stronger, I am less afraid of it (still a bit at week-ends), which may mean I know that I can keep the mold in its place and stop it destroying me?
That's it, now everybody will know I am really crazy.:confused:
Good luck to all!
Today is Tuesday and I feel glorious!
Asklipia

adreno

PR activist
Can anyone help decipher this:

In C. butyricum grown on glucose-salt medium with ammonia or N2 as the nitrogen source, glutamate dehydrogenase activity was undetectable, and the glutamine synthetase/NADH-glutamate synthase pathway was the predominant pathway of ammonia assimilation. Under these growth conditions, C. butyricum also lacked the activity of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase, which catalyzes the regeneration of NADPH from NADP+.

However, high activities of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase as well as of NADPH-glutamate dehydrogenase with a Km of 2.8 mM for NH4+ were present in C. butyricum after growth on complex nitrogen and carbon sources.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC209870/

What is "complex nitrogen and carbon sources"?

I believe NADPH regeneration is essential for us. About G6PD:

This enzyme is in the pentose phosphate pathway (see image), a metabolic pathway that supplies reducing energy to cells (such as erythrocytes) by maintaining the level of the co-enzymenicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADPH). The NADPH in turn maintains the level of glutathione in these cells that helps protect the red blood cells against oxidative damage. Of greater quantitative importance is the production of NADPH for tissues actively engaged in biosynthesis of fatty acids and/or isoprenoids, such as the liver, mammary glands, adipose tissue, and the adrenal glands. G6PD reduces nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADP) to NADPH while oxidizing glucose-6-phosphate.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose-6-phosphate_dehydrogenase

Last edited:

jepps

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-04-two-week-international-diet-swap-potential.html

Black Americans who switched to a high-fiber African diet for just two weeks saw a dramatic drop in risk factors for colon cancer, a study published on Tuesday found.

According to Dr. O'Keefe, increasing the amount of fiber in the diet - from approximately 10 grams to more than 50 for African-Americans in the diet swap - likely led to biomarker changes reflecting reduced cancer risk, but eating less animal fat and proteins also could be helpful.

"These findings are really very good news," he said. "In just two weeks, a change in diet from a Westernized composition to a traditional African high-fiber, low-fat diet reduced these biomarkers ofcancer risk, indicating that it is likely never too late to modify the risk of colon cancer."

and another study about cortisol response and prebiotics:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25449699

Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2015 May;232(10):1793-1801. Epub 2014 Dec 3.
Prebiotic intake reduces the waking cortisol response and alters emotional bias in healthy volunteers.

OBJECTIVES:
The present study explored the effects of two prebiotics on the secretion of the stress hormone, cortisol and emotional processing in healthy volunteers.

METHODS:
Forty-five healthy volunteers received one of two prebiotics (fructooligosaccharides, FOS, or Bimuno®-galactooligosaccharides, B-GOS) or a placebo (maltodextrin) daily for 3 weeks. The salivary cortisol awakening response was sampled before and after prebiotic/placebo administration. On the final day of treatment, participants completed a computerised task battery assessing the processing of emotionally salient information.

RESULTS:
The salivary cortisol awakening response was significantly lower after B-GOS intake compared with placebo. Participants also showed decreased attentional vigilance to negative versus positive information in a dot-probe task after B-GOS compared to placebo intake. No effects were found after the administration of FOS.

Last edited:

South

@adreno
"complex nitrogen sources" -- the mix of nutrients in the petri-type dishes used in the labratory, to evaluate the growth of the bacteria. Question is what specific mix did that lab use? Labs can buy pre-mixed nutrient growth dishes (lunch for the bugs!), but since that study didn't specify what mixture they used, we can only guess what the mix might have been.

Here is a link to one source labs go to, to buy premade mixtures, if that helps:
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/technical-documents/articles/biology/microbial-media.html

In any case, meals that humans eat are almost always a very complex mix of nutrients. Which makes it hard for us humans to apply data from studies done on petri dishes if the only thing we humans can do is try to tweak our own dietary nutrient intake to influence our gut bugs.

dannybex

@Vegas we are so happy with Miyarisan. There is an unexpected effect : sudden appetite for salami and dried sausage! This has been going on for a couple of months after starting the C. butyricum and is now waning, even though we still take the Miyarisan. Could this be nitrates related? The last two weeks it did not happen.

This study suggests clostridial strains lower histamine levels, perhaps that's why you had/have a craving for high-histamine foods @Asklipia?

http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medl...ctive_clostridial_strains__author's_transl_]_

???

Asklipia

This study suggests clostridial strains lower histamine levels, perhaps that's why you had/have a craving for high-histamine foods?
I don't know. The craving has gone, and for my husband too, and we still take the C. butyricum. It felt life a craving for meat, especially for pork, and especially for preserved pork. Not sure that it was for high-histamine foods.
But what you found about clostridial strains lowering histamine levels must be true because taking te Miyarisan seems to protect about irritation quite powerfully.

dannybex

I don't know. The craving has gone, and for my husband too, and we still take the C. butyricum. It felt life a craving for meat, especially for pork, and especially for preserved pork. Not sure that it was for high-histamine foods.
But what you found about clostridial strains lowering histamine levels must be true because taking te Miyarisan seems to protect about irritation quite powerfully.

Interesting. Maybe the craving has gone away because your histamine levels have increased or balanced out? Just guessing of course, but it's my understanding that all meats (with the exception of skinless chicken) are high in histamine, especially preserved meats, like sausages, bacon, etc..

And in this overview of histamine intolerance, pork is listed as a 'histamine-releaser':

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/5/1185.full.pdf

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you