• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Don't you absorb roughly 100% of the salmonella? :eek:
I believe the incidence is overstated. AFAIR, even at the height of the great scare some years ago, it was something like 1 in 20,000 eggs.

Someone with impaired immunity would avoid them, for sure.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I believe the incidence is overstated. AFAIR, even at the height of the great scare some years ago, it was something like 1 in 20,000 eggs.

Good point - I thought it was much higher than that (in the UK, especially, but I can't find good figures apart from US CDC saying 1/10,000.

Someone with impaired immunity would avoid them, for sure.

Isn't that us?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Good point - I thought it was much higher than that (in the UK, especially, but I can't find good figures apart from US CDC saying 1/10,000.
There have also been studies where people start with raw chicken and prepare a meal, then scrub everything in the kitchen with bleach and yet salmonella can still be found on a lot of kitchen surfaces. Yet there is not an epidemic of salmonella despite millions being exposed every day. True, the pathogen load is less than in an egg, I suppose.

Still, the virulence also seems overstated - except for those with weak immunity, and I knew someone who almost died from salmonella in a salad.
Isn't that us?
Not me. I get something resembling a very mild virus cold occasionally and that's it. I'm not even sure it is a cold. My problems tend more to overactive immunity, with possibly intracellular non-lytic viral RNA causing some problems a la Dr. Chia.

I think it was a guy named 'August' something who said a few years ago that he's never had so much as a cold [edit: for many years] since getting CFS. That stuck in my mind.

anne_likes_red

I just tried that. I'd thought it would be very bitter, but it's not.

Some varieties seem more bitter than others. I was getting mainly Valencia and naval oranges.
Let me know if you experience any reaction. :)
The first couple of times (a week apart) I had a flare up of canker sores in my mouth and throat within a couple of hours. Then chills, elevated temperature, severe frontal sinus pain (both sides, rare for me), swimming head, low blood pressure etc 2 - 3 hours after that. (This was taking a small amount - peel only - the size of my thumb.)
It also had a noticeable expectorant effect on the respiratory organs.
No canker sore flare ups after the first 2 weeks - I thought this might indicate some kind of overall progress...

@jepps - lots to think about from your post. (And asklipias post too). Thank you! I am away for a few days w. compromised computer access would like to discuss more. So my reaction isn't RS or prebiotic related and I should probably start a new thread when I'm back.

jepps

Here Gemma and Tim Steele discuss, that with FUT2 we need more fibres and probiotics than other, f.ex. 30-50 g prebiotics instead of 20-30 g. I am FUT2 homozygot, maybe this is the reason, because I´m profiting from taking high dosage of prebiotics. 30-50 g prebiotics means f.ex. 15 g RS, 35 g several other fibres.

This study describes, that with FUT2 bowel inflammatory disease we will profit from taking prebiotics. Here is explained, how FUT2 works, and why we need more probiotics/prebiotics with FUT2.

This study about candida describes, how 5 HTP fights candida and candida hyphen. But as long as our 5 HTP (serotonin) is needed for fighting candida, we do not have it for our mood, body temperature or for muscle energy.

Last edited:

whodathunkit

@adreno and @Vegas: I'm on p. 78 of this thread and have seen you guys discuss uridine a bit. Special interest in this post:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ve-been-looking-for.26976/page-78#post-468815

Because I've had great success (but also great trouble) with choline, and also because I think it helped precipitate some kind of liver detox and shift in my gut biome a few months ago, I'm interested in trying uridine along with omega-3 and some choline.

Can either of you tell me if there any known benefit to taking triacetyluridine v. "plain" uridine?

Any info is appreciated. :)

whodathunkit

@adreno, thanks for speedy reply!

I also have CDP choline (it's the one I think originally lowered my blood glucose, netting me blurry vision for a month or so until sugar came down consistently over time), but have read some things (aside from @Vegas posts) that indicate the two together might be helpful. Like uridine might mitigate some of the negative sides that CDP can bring.

adreno

PR activist
@adreno, thanks for speedy reply!

I also have CDP choline (it's the one I think originally lowered my blood glucose, netting me blurry vision for a month or so until sugar came down consistently over time), but have read some things (aside from @Vegas posts) that indicate the two together might be helpful. Like uridine might mitigate some of the negative sides that CDP can bring.
Perhaps, but CDP choline already raises uridine by itself.

Plasma uridine was elevated significantly for 5-6 hr after all three doses, increasing by as much as 70-90% after the 500 mg dose, and by 100-120% after the 2000 mg dose
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10974208

jepps

@whodathunkit

I use CDP-choline, which breaks down to choline and uridine,which is then used for phospholipid synthesis. I haven't tried pure uridine supplements.
I take CDP-choline for the permeability of the brain cell membrane, and because it releases glutamate from the brain. I take it since one year, I realized a better brain after taking CDP choline.
With better permeability of the brain cell membranes, maybe detoxifying brain is easier.

adreno

PR activist
I take CDP-choline for the permeability of the brain cell membrane, and because it releases glutamate from the brain. I take it since one year, I realized a better brain after taking CDP choline.
With better permeability of the brain cell membranes, maybe detoxifying brain is easier.
It increases membrane fluidity, yes. I'm not sure what you mean by "releases glutamate from the brain", but I know that CDP-choline increase the uptake of glutamate, leading to a decrease in synaptic glutamate.