• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The relation between disequilibrium and orthostatic intolerance in patients with MECFS

Murph

:)
J Cardiol. 2018 Mar 24. pii: S0914-5087(18)30058-3. doi: 10.1016/j.jjcc.2018.02.010. [Epub ahead of print]
The etiologic relation between disequilibrium and orthostatic intolerance in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis (chronic fatigue syndrome).
Miwa K1, Inoue Y2.
Author information
Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Orthostatic intolerance (OI) causes a marked reduction in the activities of daily living in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) or chronic fatigue syndrome. Most symptoms of OI are thought to be related to cerebral hypo-perfusion and sympathetic activation. Because postural stability is an essential element of orthostatic tolerance, disequilibrium may be involved in the etiology of OI.

METHODS AND RESULTS:
The study comprised 44 patients with ME (men, 11 and women, 33; mean age, 37±9 years), who underwent neurological examinations and 10-min standing and sitting tests. Symptoms of OI were detected in 40 (91%) patients and those of sitting intolerance were detected in 30 (68%). Among the 40 patients with OI, disequilibrium with instability on standing with their feet together and eyes shut, was detected in 13 (32.5%) patients and hemodynamic dysfunction during the standing test was detected in 19 (47.5%); both of these were detected in 7 (17.5%) patients. Compared with 31 patients without disequilibrium, 13 (30%) patients with disequilibrium more prevalently reported symptoms during both standing (100% vs. 87%, p=0.43) and sitting (92% vs. 58%, p=0.06) tests. Several (46% vs. 3%, p<0.01) patients failed to complete the 10-min standing test, and some (15% vs. 0%, p=0.15) failed to complete the 10-min sitting test. Among the seven patients with both hemodynamic dysfunction during the standing test and disequilibrium, three (43%) failed to complete the standing test. Among the 6 patients with disequilibrium only, 3 (50%) failed while among the 12 patients with hemodynamic dysfunction only, including 8 patients with postural orthostatic tachycardia, none (0%, p=0.02) failed.

CONCLUSIONS:
Patients with ME and disequilibrium reported not only OI but also sitting intolerance. Disequilibrium should be recognized as an important cause of OI and appears to be a more influential cause for OI than postural orthostatic tachycardia in patients with ME.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29588088

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Great to see research out of Japan published in English.

Haven't seen the term sitting intolerance before.
Full text: http://sci-hub.la/10.1016/j.jjcc.2018.02.010

Methods
[...]
Sitting test

Patients were asked to keep the sitting position on the center of the side of a bed without cushions for 10 min after lying in the recumbent position for 5 min. Postural sitting tachycardia was diagnosed as an increase in the heart rate of > 20 and/or > 90 beats/min during the sitting test. Sitting hypotension was diagnosed as a decrease in the systolic blood pressure of >20 and/or <90 mmHg or diastolic blood pressure of >10 mmHg.
[...]
Results
During the sitting test, patients with disequilibrium reported various symptoms including faintness, nausea, dyspnea, palpitation, and severe fatigue (92% vs. 58%, p = 0.06) and had postural sway (38% vs. 6%,p = 0.03) more prevalently than those without disequilibrium. Some (15%) patients with disequilibrium were unable to complete the 10-min sitting test, whereas none (0%) of the patients without disequilibrium failed to complete it. Postural sitting tachycardia (heart rate 90/min) was noted in 3 (23%) patients with disequilibrium and in 9 (29%) without disequilibrium (p = 0.97).

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Because postural stability is an essential element of orthostatic tolerance, disequilibrium may be involved in the etiology of OI.
How many of us with OI can "walk a straight line," heel, toe, heel toe--with ease? I can't. :(

rel8ted

How many of us with OI can "walk a straight line," heel, toe, heel toe--with ease? I can't. :(
Not a chance!

I was very interested in the sitting test. i have been noticing for the last 6 months or so that if I have to sit for any length of time, my heart rate is shooting up after a few minutes. the only relief is to semi-recline (like putting the seat partially back when riding in the car).