• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The reinvention of radical protest: life on the frontline of the Aids epidemic

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
Warning: this is one of the Guardian's 'long read' articles, but since both ME and AIDS came to prominence during the 80s (though obviously there were notable outbreaks of the latter previously) I thought it relevant to post here. The LGBT community obviously included mostly healthy people who could also take part in activism, especially given the homophobia of the authorities at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/nov/29/act-up-aids-new-york-spencer-cox

Jennifer J

This is an edited extract from How to Survive a Plague, published by Picador on 1 December. There will be a special screening on Thursday 1 December of David France’s film How to Survive a Plague at the Cinema Museum, London SE11, at 7pm; it will be introduced by Peter Staley.

I highly recommend watching the documentary How to Survive a Plague by David France, too.

Last edited:

worldbackwards

patients and their advocates puzzled through the science of virology, chemistry, and immunology. Their insights won them audiences with researchers in the deepest corridors of science – audiences, then respect, then working partnerships
Whereas ME patients' insights bring them scorn, slurs and accusations of terrorism. Maybe we're doing it wrong.:)