Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The problem with 10 minute GP consultations (UK)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by charles shepherd, Aug 29, 2016.

1. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think these kinds of issues go way beyond the UK. I also think that saying there is no rule is misleading in many parts of the world, as there is subtle and not so subtle inducement for short GP consultations.

I also think that this notion of fast patient visits actually creates more problems in many cases, particularly for patients with complex medical conditions. Longer visits might result in better care, and so result in fewer visits. Its unclear that there have been studies looking at this trade-off, or at least I have not read any.

3. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

"plan ahead to make sure you cover everything you want to discuss".
    At my GP it they make it clear you should only see them about one medical problem per consultation, if you have more than one thing wrong you need to make a second appointment.
    It would be interesting to see the statistics as to how many patients have to go back to their GP shortly after the initial consultation because of incorrect diagnosis/ineffective treatment, and how many end up costing the NHS more because of their condition worsening as a result.

4. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

If you want to spend more than 10 minutes with your GP it is worth asking if you can have a 'double appointment' or an extended consultation

This is something that some (but not all) GPs in the UK are willing to do

5. belize44

belize44 Senior Member

Here in the USA, they are already doing this - rushing people through appointments because of over booking. There are some docs that will take the time to hear you out, but mostly they are distracted, in a hurry and above all else, they are infected with "cover-your-A**" syndrome. I have lost count of how many times a doctor wouldn't cooperate with me and then stated that they had to cover their A**. Whatever happened to actually wanting to help patients?

6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    This was the problem that Dr. Allison Bested ran into here in Vancouver when the CFS/ME clinic opened. She expected to be doing 90 minute consults, however, the hospital board and BC Medical told her she had to get them down to 10 minute visits. :bang-head:

joeblow604 and belize44 like this.
  7. Wolfiness

Wolfiness Activity Level 0

UK
    Ten minutes?! Lol. I get three minutes on the phone between her other appointments and after two she starts rushing me.

8. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

Managed to get this once when I moved surgeries.

However, thinking about the issue of 10 minute appointments, the problem with this is also to do with the fact that you rarely get to see the same doctor regularly, and they will often not be familiar with your medical history.

Consequently, you can spend a large chunk of your consultation time going over the same things again and again.

Even if they do bother to look at your notes, they rarely look further than what happened at your last appointment, and from what I have found, the computerised medical summaries are far from accurate.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  9. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

Hell...Hath...No...Fury.. Senior Member

UK
    I do phone appointments too as its my only option. I blurt everything out as fast as possible and hope some of it stuck in her brain and landed on her computer screen.

More often than not, i'll find myself still waiting a year later for whatever was discussed; so phone appointments rarely work for me.

I usually end up waiting until i need an emergency home visit for some infection or other, pray its my own doctor on the day, and squeeze as much in as possible while theyre inspecting the emergency problem as its the only time i see them in person.

Valentijn likes this.
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    No such thing as phone appointments or home visits where I live. You either make an appointment to see your doctor at their office or you go to the ER.

11. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

UK
    @TigerLilea Our docs are good with home visits for the elderly and disabled; my problem with getting a home visit is fighting with the receptionists who first tell me i'm too young, then don't believe that i'm disabled even though i've been listed as housebound for years.

So emergencies are the only times i fight for it, otherwise they're happy with phone appointments as it saves them a trip out to visit someone.

If bloods are needed to be taken, a nurse comes out to see me.

They were even considering email communication with patients at one point but its looking like they decided against it.

12. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

on one occasion my reply to that was 'I feel like I'm 90,does that count?'.........
    The worst was the 111 service.........set up, I think, to alleviate pressure on 999 calls, and provide some kind of out of hours service. But all that seemed to happen was you were either told to go to your nearest A and E, or wait until your GP surgery was open and make an appointment.
    The whole system is very costly and inefficient.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  13. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

UK
    Haha i said the same thing once ;)

See more popular forum discussions.