Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The prebiotic concept and human health: a changing landscape with riboflavin as a novel prebiotic

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Gondwanaland, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Attached Files:

Richard7, Hanna, Asklipia and 6 others like this.
  2. Isaiah 58:11

Isaiah 58:11

A Sun-Scorched Land
    @Gondwanaland You always have such interesting things to share!

ahmo and Gondwanaland like this.
  3. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    Yes very interesting and a good summary updating and expanding the prebiotic concept. All that excess riboflavin in 50 or 100 mg pills isn't wasted!

They don't mention it here but I think thiols in the form of cysteine or glutathione are needed in addition to riboflavin as part of the mechanism which allows the strict anaerobe F. prausnitzii to grow in an oxygen enriched environment. See here.

4. Murph

Murph :)

The weird thing for me is that when i eat classic prebiotics - onion, garlic, etc - my symptoms get way worse.

I imagine them as like fertiliser. You throw fertiliser on a well-balanced eco system and it thrives. you throw it on a garden full of weeds (my gut) and things only get more out of hand!

I've tried a lot of interventions from probiotics, dietary modification and fasting. There's an interesting question of what is keeping my gut microbiome from returning to the eco-system state.

kelly8 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.