New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The powerful placebo effect: fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by A.B., Nov 25, 2014.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

This might be of interest to some readers here (especially with so many placebo therapies targeting CFS patients):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?uid=9449934&cmd=showdetailview

cigana, Valentijn and Simon like this.
  2. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    For some time I've been quite skeptical of placebo being this mystical mind/body healing effect. There is another study I read a while ago that found the effect disappeared when objective measures were used.

Is the Placebo Powerless? — An Analysis of Clinical Trials Comparing Placebo with No Treatment

BACKGROUND
    Placebo treatments have been reported to help patients with many diseases, but the quality of the evidence supporting this finding has not been rigorously evaluated.

CONCLUSIONS
    We found little evidence in general that placebos had powerful clinical effects. Although placebos had no significant effects on objective or binary outcomes, they had possible small benefits in studies with continuous subjective outcomes and for the treatment of pain. Outside the setting of clinical trials, there is no justification for the use of placebos.

Valentijn likes this.
  3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Valentijn and Simon like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think there is another thread on this general topic posted just recently. Placebo seems to modify how people feel, not how they function. You could do the same with marijuana - keep 'em stoned. I think some psychiatry is the same - babble talk or babble pills, it makes no difference.

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.