1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The 'Placebo Effect' Pain and Health

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Cort, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    The power of the mind - to reduce pain. Yes being hopeful reduces pain levels and now they know why - it increases the endorphin levels of the brain and when that happens your pain level drops.

ME/CFS patients apparently experience less of the 'placebo effect' than normal (unfortunately). Perhaps we're less hopeful than others. This study suggests, though, that if you can build agood mindset then your pain should be reduced. I can't imagine that fatigue wouldn't be reduced as well.

Interestingly a study released that year suggested that increased levels of CRH - a key factor in the HPA axis - reduces pain. (our HPA axis functioning is low). Could a release from preoccupying negative thoughts give a kick the HPA axis and increase endorphins?
  2. Victoria

Victoria Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Interesting.....

Interesting article, Cort,

The Mind/Body connection has always been of great interest to me over the years (way before FM).

These days, I don't care if it's a placebo or not, if it works, fine.

After all, that's what we're all looking for - relief from our symptoms.:)

Victoria
  3. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    And if the placebo is free and easily accessible, so much the better. :)
  4. Victoria

Victoria Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Ditto, Jody,
    V

See more popular forum discussions.