Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Phantom Menace of Sleep Deprived Doctors

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by charityfundraiser, Aug 8, 2011.

1. charityfundraiser

charityfundraiser Senior Member

The Phantom Menace of Sleep Deprived Doctors
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/m...of-sleep-deprived-doctors.html?pagewanted=all

2. Nielk

Nielk

I have been witness to a number of mistakes done by overworked insomniac residents in teaching hospitals. It is a big disgrace besides being really dangerous for the patient. I had a son many years ago in the hospital for 17 weeks straight and wouldn't leave his bedside because of the mistakes I saw there. It is not the fault of the residents. It's the whole system that needs to be changed.

3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    What changes do you propose, besides an upper limit on the amount of hours worked?

4. Nielk

Nielk

I definitely propose a limit of hours on call. When they are lacking sleep from working straight over 48 hours how accurate can they be with their treatment? It's similar to being drunk. Would one want a drunk doctor treating them? Hospitals have become very dangerous places.

5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Yes I agree the whole system needs to be changed (I recall the impossible hours whilst 4 Docs in my own family were in training for starters) they are not supermen.

See more popular forum discussions.