• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The PACE Trial Invalidates the Use of CBT & GET in ME/CFS: A Review

Dolphin

Further, 46% of patients reported increases in their ME/CFS symptoms, 31% reported musculoskeletal, representing the M in ME, and 19% reported neurological adverse events, representing the E in ME [64]. So that the proportion of participants negatively affected by CBT and GET is between 46% and 96%, and most likely estimated at 74%, as recently reported by a large survey conducted by the British ME Association, which involved 1,428 patients [63] and medication with such high rates of adverse events should be withdrawn from the market with immediate effect.
I don't find this point convincing as the percentages reporting such adverse events in the APT and SMC-only groups were similar so one can't conclude they were due to CBT or GET.

The same point is made in the abstract:
In addition, 46% of patients reported an increase in ME/CFS symptoms, 31% reported musculoskeletal and 19% reported neurological adverse events. Therefore the proportion negatively affected by CBT and GET would be between 46% and 96%, most likely estimated at 74%, as shown in a large survey recently conducted by the ME Association. Medication with such high rates of adverse events would be withdrawn with immediate effect.

And in the conclusion:
The PACE trial found that the proportion negatively affected by CBT and GET was between 46% and 96%, most likely estimated at 74%, as shown in a large survey recently conducted by the ME Association [63]. Medication with such high rates of adverse events would be withdrawn immediately.

Sea

Overall I think it is a good/very good paper and is very impressive given his personal health but I wish he had contacted some other people before submitting it.
I was thinking the same thing. Already I have seen many re-posts of quotes from the paper where I am not convinced the figures are accurate.

Andrew

Overall I think it is a good/very good paper and is very impressive given his personal health but I wish he had contacted some other people before submitting it.
I think you should send him your notes ASAP. The copy I downloaded said "provisional" so it might not be too late to change it. Also, even if it is final, he can still issue an errata sheet.

If he ends up setting up a review group with members here, please let me know.