Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"The PACE Trial ‘Normal Range’ – an Untenable Construct" By Peter Kemp

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Tom Kindlon, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

Daisymay, Valentijn, TiredSam and 4 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

I have some quibbles with a few bits in this:
    I don't think the investigators have claimed they changed the protocol "in order to inflate the small differences between the treatments". I'm guessing he meant he thinks that was their real reason so I'm guessing a few words were missing.

--

Just to point out that the score of 75 wasn't the only way to satisfy the criteria in the primary outcome: another way was improving by 50% of more from one's baseline score.

---
    There were statistically significant differences.

Valentijn likes this.
  3. Tom Kindlon

Some more quibbles:

I'm not sure if the specific thresholds used in the primary outcomes were based on existing research.
    ---
    I'm not convinced it is true to say that there had previously been no treatment effects "below the threshold of significance". The analyses released last week show significant differences with their original primary outcome measures.

Valentijn likes this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

This is something people will be able to investigate if or when Alem releases the data.

---
    Not sure one can say the last sentence. The % of overall improvers for CBT and GET was twice rate for SMC.
    ---

I'm not sure that the last sentence is justified. The threshold of 75 was only one part of the primary outcomes; one could also satisfy the criterion by improving by at least 50%. Also the average score wouldn't need to be 75 for a therapy to be useful.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Valentijn likes this.
  5. Tom Kindlon

Anyway I think he makes some useful points but felt I wanted to point these things out if highlighting the blog post.

Valentijn, trishrhymes and Sean like this.
  6. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    though I couldnt get through all this article, great graph at end of that.

This whole study was a fraud which has harmed hundreds of people due to what others were then lead to believe from it and the policies which were made based on it.

SilverbladeTE, Daisymay and AndyPR like this.

See more popular forum discussions.