Surprisingly good outcomes for people who get ME/CFS after Mononucleosis (Glandular Fever)
Sometimes ME/CFS emerges after mononucleosis, or glandular fever. Simon McGrath shares results from a long-term follow-up study from Haukeland University Hospital in Norway...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Onset Poll

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by Cort, Dec 16, 2009.

?

My Kind of Onset Was

1. Acute infectious onset (flu-like symptoms) out of the blue - no significant stress otherwise - I wa

79 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Acute infectious onset (flu-like symptoms) while I was experiencing a period of increased stress or

71 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Gradual infectious onset (flu-like symptoms): I experienced a series of infectious events that dragg

35 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. Acute non-infectious onset (no colds, no flu-like symptoms) following a stressful event (eg acciden

11 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Acute non-infectious onset (no colds, no flu-like symptoms) out of the blue

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Gradual onset out of the blue during a period when I was feeling fine

22 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. Gradual onset during a period of increased stress

23 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. manna

manna Senior Member

of course you're right about the no anti-biotics for a virus...duh moment, i actually knew that, honest! thanks for correction. Though I'd guess folks with a virus maybe prescribed them all the same, as you might be implying. Question then is, I wonder how many folks were pre-scribed anti-biotics prior to onset and that triggered the illness rather than what they were prescribed for.

id agree too that vaccines can trigger environmental illnesses.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I've certainly asked myself that. I took an antibiotic, despite my bad history with them, because I was not able to take time off from work at that time and did not think I would make it otherwise.

I am prone to rebound infections after taking antibiotics. I got the Mother of All Rebound Infections after that one. Fortunately I was past my work deadline, because I was barely able to walk across the house. Actually, the second time I planned to (to get to the phone), I just couldn't make it off of the sofa and fell asleep/passed out until my landlady came home from work. I don't even remember how many days of work I missed. Those first several days are completely lost in the fog.

I wonder if I would have recovered if I hadn't got the antibiotic rebound infection.

manna likes this.
  3. manna

manna Senior Member

Hi, this is what I'm getting at. I've heard, more times than I can count, about people who got ill following a virus/infection etc but the question of teatment/meds taken at the time of this onset is never taken into account. anti-biotics, along with steroid meds and the birth control pill, are all top of the list, as prime causes, on the candida questionairres that i have encountered.

rebound infections occur, imo, because antibiotics make you highly acidic, thus killing microbes, but mild acidity, which microbes love and thrive in, is what's left when hyper-acidity, caused by the anti-biotics, leaves the system. its highly possible that the mildly acidic environment loved by microbes, may not have occurred if there had been no anti-biotic intervention.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Little Bluestem and rosie26 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.