The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Next Lyrica? Thousand Person Fibromyalgia Drug Trial is Underway

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia' started by Bob, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    This is an interesting read, especially if you're interested in gabapentin and pregabalin.

The Next Lyrica? Thousand Person Fibromyalgia Drug Trial is Underway
    by Cort Johnson
    July 26, 2015

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...sand-person-fibromyalgia-drug-trial-underway/

2. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    Here's hoping it's nothing like Lyrica...which is a funny statement! I drooled on that drug. Lyrica, in my book, is poison. I was a zombie on Lyrica and beyond depressed...never again. I will stick with the pain...unfortunately.

If it's a better drug, here's hoping...that would be great for those of us with Fibro..I would welcome it, if my MCAS wasn't an issue.

Valentijn, Bob and Never Give Up like this.
  3. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

4. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    Gotta agree @Misfit Toy toy lyrica made me retarded :p

Its actually kind of funny because I was working with mentally handicapped kids that week so I never realized how stupid and brain dead Lyrica made me until there was a minor incident and that I couldn't handle. At that time I took a brain stimulating substance and was just barely able to figure out something was wrong. I discontinued Lyrica and luckily was back to my baseline within a few days :p

The worst thing about being on lyrica is that felt like how I had been for my whole and how I would be forever. I had absolutely no idea anything was amiss. It's a very dangerous drug IMO

AaroninOregon likes this.
  5. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    Lyrica is not supposed to be good for the brain. I read an article about it the other day on a site for fibro patients. It doesn't allow the brain to produce cells or receptors.

I literally couldn't talk on it. I was stupified on it. I have a friend that can take high doses and it just goes to show how everyone is different.

I was also horrible on neurontin. I wanted to end my life on that drug.

These drugs treat pain by killing, or numbing the brain. To me, that makes no sense. Let's rob Peter to pay Paul. All I did was sleep on neurontin and I had constant nightmares. My sleep was like a never ending dream...a bad one.

And yet my cousin swears by the drug, so who knows...

AaroninOregon likes this.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

That sounds great. I couldn't tolerate Lyrica. Seventeen times stronge?. Fewer side effects?

Could be a winner.

Barb

@Misfit Toy

I also know someone who gets a lot of relief on Lyrica. Funny how we all react differently.

7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    For me lyrica is great drug, not only helps with neuropathy but i find it helps sleep. I dont get any hangover effects from it. I only dose once a day at night .

works great for back pain when i get bad spasms
    Etc

everyone is different though.

8. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Why do neurologists think that anti-seizure and anti-psychotic meds are all-purpose? My neuro tried to convince me that he could stop the migraines if I were willing to take high enough doses of these drugs, with a very gradual increase, of course. I told him thanks, but no thanks.

And why are they so willing to try drugs with high rates of adverse effects that have little evidence of effectiveness, but so unwilling to try drugs that might actually work, like rituxan?

Valentijn likes this.
  9. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Antidepressants work on neurotransmitters which relieve pain.

Tramadol works in a similar way and for me has been more effective than the opiates which have more side effects as well as a greater potential for addiction. ADs also have fewer side effects/fewer addictive properties compared to the opiates.

But as in the above posts, it depends on the person.

Barb

ETA Antidepressants are often the first line of treatment for the pain of migrain headaches. Rituximab is not approved for use with me/cfs at this point as it's still in the experimental stage.

See more popular forum discussions.