May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"The New Child Abuse Panic" NYT article about accusations of "medical child abuse"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kyla, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/12/opinion/sunday/the-new-child-abuse-panic.html?_r=2

Here's a section:

2. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

sarah darwins and Wildcat like this.
  3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Essentially, this is a way that doctors get back at parents who illuminate their inadequacies.

Snow Leopard, natasa778, SOC and 8 others like this.
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

A very good article. The Justina Pelletier (mitochondrial disease) case is one of those which are specifically discussed.

Wildcat and sarah darwins like this.
  5. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    Why does no-one consider that the psychiatrists/doctors, who forcibly take children into care, could also be acting in a Munchausen by proxy manner - putting inappropriate labels on children and parents so that they can inflate their own egos with the "treatments" they then inflict???

Just a thought!

6. beaker

beaker ME/cfs 1986

USA
    Great opportunity to write about Kristina Hansen and get the word out on her case in comments section.
    If anyone w/ more of the facts than I or links to her site can post that would be great. If you can post some of the talking points here for others to then write up ( like me: ) that would be of great help . Thank you l

Sasha and sarah darwins like this.
  7. beaker

beaker ME/cfs 1986

USA
    Here are link I found -- her Facebook page: http://ow.ly/PuHYm

8. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Yes, God forbid you ask for a second or third opinion instead of taking the (usually incompetent) doctor's word as gospel. How abusive.

I see, the parent is supposed to jump with joy when the hospital's tests come back negative even though their kid is STILL SICK with no explanation or treatment.

GreyOwl, beaker, Snow Leopard and 6 others like this.
  9. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    This is absurd. Surely the powers-that-be are aware of the high prevalence of misdiagnoses and differences of opinion in medicine?

For example, see this article about cancer treatment. It says:
    Physician's First Watch features case studies 5 days a week, and it is striking how long it takes to diagnose most cases correctly, and how the comments from other physicians differ. It's common for the patient to be given a range of (ineffective) treatments, sent home and repeatedly readmitted before they get it right.

10. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    It's about maintaining control. Society used to put doctors on thrones and no patient dared to question their pronouncements, at least, that was how we were told to act. Patients are now pushing back, and some doctors don't like it. Disobedience must be punished.

11. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I used to watch a TV program on the satellite called "Mystery Diagnosis". It sounds a lot like "Physician's First Watch". Very rarely was the illness some obscure one-in-ten-million genetic defect. Mostly they were fairly common ailments and the biggest mystery was, "How could it possibly take a dozen of years and a gross of doctors to figure this out?"

One episode featured a woman with POTS. I instantly recognized her symptoms to be similar to mine, and I had never heard of POTS or dysautonomia or PEM or anything beyond the CDC CFS Toolkit rubbish. That one program directly lead me down the rabbit hole to my current understanding of the illness, whatever it is.

Cheshire, MeSci and Valentijn like this.
  12. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    Physician's First Watch is an e-newsletter which I signed up for for free some years ago. I recommend it - it alerts readers to the latest findings in clinical research, including what has been found to be ineffective (often common treatments that have been used for years), what hazards have been identified, etc.

I also realised what I had (ME) due to serendipity - a video included in my Open University course, which featured a woman with ME going up stairs on her hands and knees (as I did - but rarely do now thanks largely to pacing), and walking like I do/did, dragging her feet. It was such a revelation that I cried.

jimells likes this.
  13. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

The comments section on this article is getting very interesting today. If you haven't been there today it's worth checking back in.

Valentijn likes this.
  14. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

I have read that anyone who is in a hospital should ask what every drug or treatment they are given is, to be sure that it is something they are supposed to be getting. A child is not going to be able to this. They are going to have to have someone with them to do it for them. Parents would seem the best candidates.

I have also read that anyone in a hospital should have someone with them because when you are ill/injured you are often not able to keep track of these things for yourself.

When one of my parents is in the hospital, we always have someone with them. We have never had any problems from the hospital. Apparently highly highly attentive children who are reluctant (unwilling, actually) to leave their parent's side are OK.

natasa778 and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.