May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Morbid Story of Co-morbid Infections

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by SOC, Apr 19, 2012.

1. SOC

SOC

As I understand it, Dr Lipkin and crew are looking at many potential infections in ME/CFS, but we're still waiting on information from that study. My thinking is that he has to find some things since so many of us have multiple infections. Whether there will be a clear pattern or not is yet to be determined.

Just for a topic for discussion (and speculation) while we're waiting, let's (anyone who wants to) list the infections we have, or have had in the course of ME/CFS -- so not just current infections, but also any persistent infections that you may have cleared. It would be interesting to briefly indicated how you cleared any.

I'll start:
    HHV-6 (cleared with Valcyte)
    EBV (still not cleared even with Valcyte and Valtrex)
    Parvovirus B19
    Coxsackie B2 (going to try Equilibrant)
    C. pneumoniae (currently taking Clarithromycen)
    ETA: forgot about HSV-1

All this is consistent with my low CD8+ count, although which came first, the immune dysfunction or the infections is a question I can't answer.

Maybe we can build this into a poll if we get a good feeling for what infections to include.

2. vitamink

vitamink

NYC
    HHV-6
    EBV
    HSV-1
    Lyme / Borrelia (possibly): currently taking Doxycycline
    FL1953 / Protomyxzoa Rheumatica

3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    ebv/cmv- famvir helping

sinus /staph- doxycycline good effect

4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Little in the way of testing here SOC but clearly is infections (poss latent viruses from depression of the immune system appearing at various stages). I've a strong feeling that if the UK tests were refined enough they could have picked them up.

justy likes this.
  5. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    Blastocystis hominis
    Cryptosporidium
    Parasite present taxonomy unknown (Had this every test -- never disappears)
    Candida
    Bacterial Overgrowth 1st: Streptococcus, Prevotella, Porphyromonas, Eubacterium
    Bacterial Overgrowth 2nd: Streptococcus, Clostridium, Lactobacillus

Getting tested for EBV, CMV, HHV-6 on Monday. Had this done years ago and was only positive for EBV, but no tests were done for reactivation.

See more popular forum discussions.