Red Hot researchers spice up Chilli ME Challenge — Live!
Watch renowned researchers Drs. Ian Lipkin and Mady Hornig take the Chilli ME Challenge, LIVE from New York by webcast this coming Wednesday, 1st July at 1 p.m. EST.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The missing link between EBV and Multiple Sclerosis

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Nov 17, 2013.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    cigana, ukxmrv, maryb and 9 others like this.
  2. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Interesting, thanks Natasa.

3. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    "Several potentially pathogenic mechanisms explaining an EBV causative role for MS, yet very speculative, have been proposed, as recently reviewed [4], [30]; they include molecular mimicry (generation of autoreactive T cells are primed against EBV, but cross-reacting with CNS antigens), and generation of EBV-infected autoreactive B cells (that would seed the target organ expressing the autoantigen and produce autoantibodies and costimulatory signals to autoreactive T cells)."

Very pertinent to MECFS, IMO.

Thanks, Natasa.

Bob and leela like this.
  4. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Leaving for awhile

Based on this study and others prior, I would be leaning toward a connection between ERV and MS in particular, HERV-Fc1 and to some extent Herv-W. I believe the protein in ENV can cause inflammation within the brain.

In the HERv-Fc1 retroviruses are not mutating as they are basically junk viruses (nonactive replicating retroviruses) that make up 8% of our genome and in most situations are in inactive. If MS patients have Herv-Fc1, there probably other disregulated ERV's that could be involved. Some ERV's could make nRNA that gets reverse transcriptase and integrease which turns other ERV mRNA into DNA which is then inserted back into the genome.This can cause cancer due to all sorts of genenic instability, insertional mutagenesis.

However in MS patients there is not an increase copies of HERV-Fc1 in the cells of MS patients vs. healthy controls just the normal 2:1 ratio.

I have more to say on this later.
    Eco

See more popular forum discussions.