The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Mindbody Syndrome (TMS) forum talk about Jen Brea Tedtalk

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by slysaint, Sep 9, 2017.

1. slysaint

slysaint Moved to https://www.s4me.info/index.php

Never heard of this as an actual illness before(?) TMS ?

"Viewed a Ted Talk where the presenter, Jennifer Brea, spoke of her condition called, CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, or Myalgic encephalomyelitis. Very moving, a good speaker, some of the audience was in tears. She presented her illness, from onset to current day. It struck me as something that is so like the classic TMS suggested by Sarno and others following, but she clearly did not believe that this is a creation of her brain but has some other means of physical creation, that has yet to be determined."

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/cfs-e-g-myalgic-encephalomyelitis.16973/

Woolie, Invisible Woman and Joh like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

They have some hardcore psychobabble going on:

Freud was an evil genius is all I can say.

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Freud gave society a new mythology. Its about belief, not evidence. There are reasons I and others have talked about psychobabble cults. Magic and unfounded conviction are alive and well in this age of science and reason.

4. bombsh3ll

bombsh3ll Senior Member

I was on top of the world when I suddenly came down with ME. Everything in my life was going well and I had no real problems. I don't believe I did anything in my mind either consciously or subconsciously to cause this, nor that I can mentally will it away either. I know this type of approach appeals to some people but it skates pretty close to implying people remain unwell because they have the wrong mental attitude.

5. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    TMS is Tension Myositis Syndrome, something that Dr. John Sarno made up in the 1970's.
    http://www.tmswiki.org/w/index.php?page=The_Tension_Myositis_Syndrome_Wiki
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/An_Introduction_to_Tension_Myositis_Syndrome_(TMS)

Hutan, slysaint and Joh like this.
  6. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

Jennifer Brea? Isnt she something to do with a film on ME and Unrest? I didnt know she was coming form a psychobabble angle am I missing something?

7. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    @slysaint, interesting (and creepy) find, but I think they mention the TED Talk and not Unrest (re: your title)?

slysaint likes this.
  8. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Jennifer Brea co-founded MEAction (and co-created MEpedia and Millions Missing), made a TED Talk and the movie Unrest (both about ME). She's fighting for biomedical research and more funding.

Her TED Talk was very successful (viewed over 1.3 million times I last checked and translated into 26 languages) and @slysaint found people in a psychobabbler forum talking about the TED Talk and that they think all of our ME symptoms fit some invented psychobabble illness called TMS. And that Jen and ME patients in general are delusional and don't want to face that they are mentally ill. So just the usual stuff. :) Apparently they didn't really listen and understand the TED Talk at all because it's about the problems and dangerous consequences of psychogenic explanations for organic diseases.

Hutan, cyclamen, Solstice and 6 others like this.
  9. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

Internet chatter is often gossip plus anonymity, so it often brings out a certain type of person.
    That is the same sort who will chirp that a victim of crime "shouldn't have been out jogging in a park", someone who gets sick "should have had a healthy lifetsyle" (even if the illness had zero lifestyle component), etc, etc. The same types scream blue at the slightest inconvenience to themselves. They might like to say "you have defective genes and need to be cleansed from society" but are afraid of stating that openly.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Joh likes this.
  10. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

Thanks for explaining that.

Joh likes this.
  11. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    slysaint likes this.
  12. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Ya think! :bang-head:

It is also known as DDKWWS (Doctor Doesn't Know What's Wrong Syndrome) and DDGADS (Doctor Doesn't Give A Damn Syndrome).

Hutan likes this.
  13. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member

UK
    Good grief, give me strength!
    TMS = Too Much S...

Joh likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.