Wanted by Llewellyn King: Member of Congress to take up the ME/CFS cause
Sasha reports on Llewellyn King’s campaign to find a lone Congress member to do the right thing ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The ME/CFS Factsheet 2009

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by shrewsbury, Dec 20, 2009.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

The Factsheet: Literature from updates 2009 from Axfords Abode, was posted to cocure today.

It was compiled byEM. Goudsmit, Psychologist/Archivist, London. How she labeled herself intrigued me, so I found a short bio which I will include at the bottom in case anyone else is interested.

The Factsheet looks like another great resource. It is a list of research in specific areas and includes juicy titles like those below. Also covered is CBT, pacing, sub-groups, related MS research, GET, and flaws in the CDC 2005 criteria.

Further evidence of a maladaptive response to exertion.
    Jammes, Y, Steinberg, JG., Delliaux, S and Brgeon, F. Chronic fatigue syndrome combines increased exercise-induced oxidative stress and reduced cytokine and Hsp responses. Journal of Internal Medicine, 2009, doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2796.2009.02079.x. 19th May.

ME is a more disabling condition than cancer, MS and other diseases.
    Goudsmit, EM., Stouten, B and Howes, S. Illness intrusiveness in myalgic encephalomyelitis. An exploratory study. Journal of Health Psychology. 2009, 14, 2, 215-221.

New evidence for muscle pathology.
    Pietrangelo T, Toniolo L, Paoli A, Fulle S, Puglielli C, Fano G, Reggiani C. Functional characterization of muscle fibres from patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: case-control study. International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, 2009, 22, 2, 427-436.

More evidence of a physiological abnormality relating to fatigue.
    Pietrangelo, T., Mancinelli, R., Toniolo, L., Vecchiet, J., Fano, G and Fulle, S. Transcription profile analysis of vastus lateralis muscle from patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, 2009, 22, 3, 795-807.

and an excerpt from the NICEGUIDELINES blogspot, Fri Nov 20, 09

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I've learned a lot of what I know about the flaws in the research and writings of the "CBT School of Thought" from reading Ellen's/Dr. Goudsmit's writings over the years. Reading abstracts can be a bit tough especially if you are new but she also has interestings essays, book reviews, etc on her site.

(That's not to say that I haven't disagreed with her in the past but then I've disagreed with most people at one stage or another!)

See more popular forum discussions.