Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Lights need your blood! Recruiting now - important study - take part from anywhere (in the US)?

Discussion in 'Active Clinical Studies' started by Sasha, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Cort has a very interesting article on the Lights' research. Well worth a read - they seem to be making some exciting progress - and they've just got a $1m grant to take it further. Looks as though they're getting some important pieces of the puzzle.

There's an important opportunity to help - they just need PWME's blood and a questionnaire filled in, so if you can get your local doctor to draw your blood, you can ship it to them, I believe:

If I were in the US I'd be getting my blood drawn and mailed off! I wonder if they want blood from elsewhere.

2. Butydoc

Butydoc President

When my family and I had our blood drawn, it was required to have it drawn at their office.

Gary

3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    So you think this might be incorrect info? Is anyone able to contact the Lights to check?

4. Denise

Denise Senior Member

The NIH info about the study says they are looking for 300 people. I would think it'd be difficult to find 300 well characterized people just in Salt Lake City, so I am hoping there is a way people can have samples sent to the Lights.
    But I can't find contact info in Cort's article or on the Bateman Horne site re. the study, the questionnaire, how to provide samples, etc.
    When it is available, could that contact info be highlighted here?

ukxmrv and eljefe19 like this.
  5. eljefe19

eljefe19

I am in SLC. Following thread for updates.

Demepivo likes this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Cort was asked that question on his blog and said this:

7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Also, Cort has kindly responded to my question about whether he was sure that people could ship their blood, given what @Butydoc had said. Cort said:

He's referring to a video in the article.

Jennifer J and Little Bluestem like this.
  8. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

Jennifer J, RL_sparky and Sasha like this.
  9. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Another response from Cort to a question about sending blood:

Jennifer J and Demepivo like this.
  10. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    I signed up to be included in studies. They know what state I live in, so we will see what works for them :)

GG

11. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

My doctor is 70 miles away and the local rural hospital is so crummy that I would be afraid to send anything they did. :grumpy:

Jennifer J likes this.
  12. RYO

RYO Senior Member

USA
    I have contacted Dr Light and Dr Bateman. Sampling is not a simple blood draw. They can only perform at study center or possible University research center. Both Dr Lights previously worked at UNC Chapel Hill. They are early in the recruitment process. The process is much easier if you are already a patient at BHC.

Jennifer J, Grigor, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  13. eljefe19

eljefe19

@RYO I'm not a patient at BHC but I live in SLC and would really like to get involved with this research. An email to BHC has returned nothing. How do I get in contact with Dr Light?

14. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

But how do we contact the Lights to have them give our doctors the info?

15. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Hi, Rivka - our best guess is via this, I think:

RivkaRivka likes this.
  16. RYO

RYO Senior Member

USA
    They responded to my email. I think there is phone number on their website as well. They told me process is easier if you are already patient at BHC. There is separate web page to be considered as new patient.

See more popular forum discussions.