1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Light study in the Journal of Pain

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by gracenote, Jan 28, 2010.

1. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    Moderate Exercise Increases Expression for Sensory, Adrenergic, and Immune Genes in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients But Not in Normal Subjects

Alan R. Light, Andrea T. White, Ronald W. Hughen, Kathleen C. Light

Received 30 March 2009; received in revised form 10 May 2009; accepted 1 June 2009. published online 03 August 2009.

Abstract
    Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is characterized by debilitating fatigue, often accompanied by widespread muscle pain that meets criteria for fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS). Symptoms become markedly worse after exercise. Previous studies implicated dysregulation of the sympathetic nervous system (SNS), and immune system (IS) in CFS and FMS.

We recently demonstrated that acid sensing ion channel (probably ASIC3), purinergic type 2X receptors (probably P2X4 and P2X5) and the transient receptor potential vanilloid type 1 (TRPV1) are molecular receptors in mouse sensory neurons detecting metabolites that cause acute muscle pain and possibly muscle fatigue. These molecular receptors are found on human leukocytes along with SNS and IS genes.

Real-time, quantitative PCR showed that 19 CFS patients had lower expression of β-2 adrenergic receptors but otherwise did not differ from 16 control subjects before exercise.

After a sustained moderate exercise test, CFS patients showed greater increases than control subjects in gene expression for metabolite detecting receptors ASIC3, P2X4, and P2X5, for SNS receptors α-2A, β-1, β-2, and COMT and IS genes for IL10 and TLR4 lasting from 0.5 to 48 hours (P < .05).

These increases were also seen in the CFS subgroup with comorbid FMS and were highly correlated with symptoms of physical fatigue, mental fatigue, and pain. These new findings suggest dysregulation of metabolite detecting receptors as well as SNS and IS in CFS and CFS-FMS.

Perspective
    Muscle fatigue and pain are major symptoms of CFS. After moderate exercise, CFS and CFS-FMS patients show enhanced gene expression for receptors detecting muscle metabolites and for SNS and IS, which correlate with these symptoms. These findings suggest possible new causes, points for intervention, and objective biomarkers for these disorders.

The full article is available in the Phoenix Rising Library (for Senior members who have access) or by going to the Dr. Lucinda Bateman thread here.

2. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Light's slides in living color!

Here are the two slides on Dr. Light's work from Dr. Bateman's Webinar sponsored by the CFIDS Assoc (click to enlarge):

Light 2.jpg

Light 1.jpg

A link to Dr. Bateman's pdf's as posted on the CFIDS Assoc site: http://www.cfids.org/webinar/xmrv-slides-jan2010.pdf The two slides above are #26 and #27 in Dr. Bateman's pdf.

A link to an article on the Lights (husband and wife team) on the CFIDS Assoc site: http://www.cfids.org/cfidslink/2009/080503.asp
    (Hint: If you click on the picture of the cover of the Journal Pain, you'll be taken to the online version of the abstract)

And a picture of the Light graphs on the October 2009 cover of the Journal Pain.

JPain10_2009.jpg

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The study is great.
    And those slides in particular.
    And it's great to see it on the cover of the Journal of Pain.

But unfortunately, I'm not sure that the Lights have made it sufficiently clear that what they are saying about the study is just a theory. They think there is nothing wrong in the muscles (they quote one study in the paper) and hence think the body is misinterpreting signals. A much simpler explanation is that there is something going wrong in the muscle for whatever reason (there are studies which suggest there is something going wrong in the muscle).

4. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    There are actually two Dr. Lights. They are husband (Alan )and wife (Kathleen). He does animal model research and she does research on human subjects.

Here is a link to a talk she gave to OFFER in 2008: http://www.offerutah.org/kathleenlight.htm

As for the actual mechanism, I'm going to take longer look at the article this weekend (way to go Tom, you just had to bring up the whole parsimony thing! ).:D

5. gracenote

Santa Rosa, CA
    adding to my vocabulary

I learn something new everyday.

Actually, on these forums, I learn a whole lot of new somethings every hour. :eek:

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Thanks gracenote. I have to admit I wasn't sure what CBS was saying.

When I read the paper they did not go on so much about this theory of theirs as they have in other places where they made it sound very definite. On other occasions, they also said things like people can exercise which I am not convinced of. They seem to be coming from the fibromyalgia perspective where it is often said that there is nothing wrong in the muscles but people feel like there is.

7. anne

anne Guest

Are these the people Cort has referred to elsewhere as doing research on POTS?

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Don't think so.

9. gracenote

Santa Rosa, CA
    And Now For Something Completely Different

anne, is this maybe what you're thinking of?

Here is the link to Phoenix Rising and Cort's report on the Lights at the IACFS/ME Conference in Reno, Nevada, March 12-16, 2009.

And Now For Something Completely Different

This is how Cort's very interesting report begins . . .

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

There are people researching POTS more directly e.g. one of the CAA-funded researchers:

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Here's one recently published article that it's not that the sensors are picking up signals that aren't there:

See more popular forum discussions.