1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Laughter Thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by antherder, Oct 18, 2010.

1. antherder

antherder Senior Member

I know it's hard to find something to laugh about when you feel so ill all of the time, but we need to laugh, and so I thought maybe a thread where we can laugh at ourselves might be beneficial.

I am always doing really stupid things, on account of the brain fog (okay, so there may be a slight natural disposition towards being a dork involved...just a smidgin). I thought I'd share one particular incident with you, in the hope that it may invoke laughter, or at least a wee smirk. Or alternatively, the feeling that you are not alone.

Once upon a time, I lived in an old villa. In winter, the front door lock seized up. It would be a major struggle for me to get back into the house. The key just wouldn't turn. My hands seize up in winter too, so having frozen fingers attached to spindly arms with no muscle tone whatsoever, made the task even more daunting. The number of times I stood on the doorstep, for twenty minutes or longer, in the bitter cold, after returning from my weekly grocery mission. Despair would often set in. It is true that on occasion, I may have resorted to cursing... Until one day, I discovered, quite by accident (i.e, my hand slipped), that if I turned the key the other way, the door opened instantly. No muscle tone required.

The really tragic part of this tale of fog-induced woe, is that it took me SIX winters to discover this.

(Did I really just admit to that, in a public forum...nobody knows who I am...right? Would you believe I used to be a straight A student? Yeah, I struggle with that one too...)

Anyway, now it's your turn. What ya got? Ideally your tale will be something that stems from having a fog-filled brain (so I don't feel alone in my dorkiness), but anything that can spark an international ripple of laughter will work...

2. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Here's a short but funny story. I actually don't have as many cognitive dysfunction as a lot of folks. But staying on task is very hard for me if I get interrupted. For example, if the phone rings while I'm doing something, and I go in the other room to answer it, then whatever I was doing is completely forgotten until I happen to go back into that room and see the half finished task (laundry, dishes, sending email, or whatever). I've had half treated laundry stay untouched for days -- it's as if I have no memory of it at all until I see it again or unless my husband notices and tells me about it.

One day, I gathered up my stuff very methodically and carefully (purse, water, keys), locked the door, and got in the car to go do some errands. It was sunny but rather chilly so I was feeling cold. I decided to go back in the house to get a sweater. I got out of the car, walked back to the house, unlocked the door, and stood there in the front hall wondering what I had come back for. Inside the house I was not cold any more. So, I could no longer remember that I needed a sweater.

I figured I must have come back to get a book (I usually don't go anywhere without one). I picked up my book, went back out to the car, and as soon I felt the cold again, I remembered -- "Oh, yeah, I wanted a sweater." I went back to the house, unlocked the door, stood in the hall, forgot what I wanted, and went back to the car. Repeat 3 times. Remember, this is a very short trip, maybe a few yards from the garage to the front hallway.

Finally, on my fourth try, I chanted "sweater, sweater, sweater..." out loud while wrapping my arms around myself in time with my chanting (what a sight that must have been if anyone had seen it!). But it did help me remember the sweater long enough to walking to the house, unlock the door and walk to the closet.

Memory is a funny thing. I can remember this incident, which happened years ago, as if it were yesterday. And yet some other part of my memory is so impaired that at times I am not able to hold the idea of "sweater" in my mind long enough to go from the garage into the house. :rolleyes:

3. antherder

antherder Senior Member

Oh, you are so not alone there! Every time I get on the bus, I have to chant to myself, "don't forget to get off the bus, don't forget to get off the bus," but sure enough, I get distracted and suddenly realise I've been staring out the window in a daydream...there's really no hope for me...Sticking my card into a money machine and remembering to retrieve it--and the money--is a very nerve wracking experience.

4. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    Lost and found

Tomorrow I will phone the bus depot lost and found and see if someone turned in my teeth, I hope whoever finds them doesnt keep them.

5. JAXintheCity

JAXintheCity

Philadelphia, PA
    This literally made me laugh out loud. So did the teeth... I hope they find them!

Oh ME/CFS... If I could remember what I did yesterday (or the day before, or the day before that)... I might have a story for you, too! ;)

Here's hoping for better days...

6. 3CFIDS@ourhouse

3CFIDS@ourhouse still me

Southeast US
    We have to laugh

My husband and I both have CFS and we both have terrible short term memory. One night I was reading, and I asked him a question. I looked back down at my book, and after a second or two, he answered. But...I was completely puzzled, because I had no idea what he was talking about or what I had asked!

7. glenp

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    Frozen Mouth!!!

Geez, this morning by mistake, I grabbed the "Prep H" instead of the tooth paste, my mouth is still frozen!!!

8. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    We've got the habit of starting to off saying something like "um, I ,er ,um, I uh..." and by the time these syllables have been uttered completely forgetting what was to be said! Frozen mouth indeed!:D

9. antherder

antherder Senior Member

Nice work, folks. Keep the stories coming.

Glenp, let's hope the person who finds your teeth doesn't suffer from brain fog too...they might not realise they aren't theirs...

The question I dread the most has to be, "So, what have you been up to lately?" Almost on a par with; "what's your phone number?"

10. glenp

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    "What do you do all day?"

11. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    :rolleyes:

:D

12. antherder

antherder Senior Member

Ha! I can't believe I forgot about that one! Damn brain fog!

13. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    I have another brain fog story that I just remembered. I have a rice cooker that I use pretty often. It has three basic steps:

Step 1 - Pour in rice.
    Step 2 - Pour in water.
    Step 3 - Turn it on.

When the rice is done it switches over to "warm" automatically. It's so convenient and I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn off the heat, burning the rice, etc. And it works pretty well for brown rice which is what I usually eat.

Anyway, I have forgotten Step 3 many times. I come back later and, oops, it's still just rice and cold water, I guess it won't work until I turn it on. :rolleyes:

Once I forgot Step 2. I poured in the rice and turned on the cooker without adding any water. A little later, smoke started coming out of the machine as the heat started to scorch the rice. Luckily, I caught it before it had completely damaged the cooker. :eek:

I'm waiting for the day when I forget Step 1. I can only imagine coming back to a completely empty rice cooker, after all the water has boiled away, and wondering, "Hey, where did all the rice go?" :D

I'm sure all of you have many more funny stories than I have -- if only we could remember them! (there are sad stories, too, but this is a thread for laughing so I'm only sharing the funny ones...)

14. antherder

antherder Senior Member

Basic is never basic enough, is it...

My sunglasses kept falling off my face. A friend came up with the helpful suggestion that if I gently bent the side frame bits (I'm sure there's a more articulate way to describe them, but I don't have access to it), then my glasses would fall off no longer. It worked! Some time later, they started slipping off again, only I forgot the solution part. I think at least six months passed before I remembered. Not an issue anymore though-because I lost them! (Didn't see that bit coming, did you?)

15. cgstar4

cgstar4

usa
  16. antherder

antherder Senior Member

Oops. I have a confession to make about my "sunglasses-falling-off-my-face" anecdote. I realised (typically after I posted it, and had shut down the computer) that it actually happened before I got sick. Eek. I guess that means it's official. I'm naturally dizzy. Although...in my own defence...it did occur in the brief interlude between having recovered from glandular fever and then getting sick all over again...so my brain had already been tampered with...and that's all I'm going to say on the matter...

See more popular forum discussions.