1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Inflammation Component in FM - more Correlations with CFS/POTS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Cort, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Inflammatory disorder? Yes! Just as in (some studies) in CFS we have increased levels of two pro-inflammatory cytokines; TNF-a and IL-8. Why are they interested in ADMA? Increased ADMA is found in type II diabetes and metabolic syndrome - two inflammatory conditions and the endothelial cells that line our blood vessels play a key role in inflammation. THey are implicated in atherosclerosis and heart disease.

A MERUK study brought up disturbing questions about cardiovascular system functioning in CFS. They found high levels of the type of oxidants that contribute to these types of problems. Now, it appears they are present in FM as well.
    This appears to be evidence that inflammation and, in particular, vascular dysfunction, is present in these types of disorders.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21291875

ADMA - But there is an even bigger link. ADMA
    is closely related to L-arginine. If ADMA levels are up they l-arngine will not be able to produce nitric oxide, "a key chemical involved in normal endothelial function and, by extension, cardiovascular health."

ADMA/NO/POTS connection - what is the NO connection in CFS? Stewart believe low nitric oxide levels play a key role in the postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS) and he has big NIH grant to study it.

It looks like CFS researchers should be looking for ADMA as well - and linking that to low NO, inflammation, vascular problems and POTS. Of course there is the low blood flow issue as well - lots of interesting avenues in the vascular systems of CFS (and perhaps FM)

I love it when these fields and groups come together because they should each be feeding off each - and prompting new insights in the others. (Why we need an NEID Institute)

2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Lovely when they all come together (exposing too all the Pathology - multi system). It's a joy to read you.

3. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    I would like to add another connection:
    The isoprostane [8-iso-PGF(2α)]/Endothelin-1/Atrial Natriuretic Peptide/Low Blood Volume/POTS connection.
    I hope Stewart would consider researching ANP as causal factor of orthostatic intolerance in CFS and FM.

4. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Yes, yes, yes-- the isoprostane connection so well elucidated by our friends at MERUK - that also triggers vascular contraction, as do low NO levels - LOVE IT! :)

5. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    And don't forget dr David Bell's isoprostane systemic vasoconstriction theory.
    http://vimeo.com/9261929 (9 min - 18 min)
    Thanks Cort for the interesting publications.

Sherlock likes this.
  6. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA

See more popular forum discussions.