1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Hanson (Bell?) XMRV Study

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Cort, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Is this out? This is just the second grant this year from the NIH on XMRV and it looks like a good one. From the XMRV Buzz page

http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=7977530&icde=4320788

2. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Funding begins June 15, 2010 through May 31, 2012.

Wow, if I didn't know any better I'd say they sound fairly convinced that XMRV plays a role in CFS.
  3. Lynn

Lynn Senior Member

I would agree. Wow, actual research. This so exciting!

Lynn
  4. Doogle

Doogle Senior Member

5. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    yes, it isn't whether it is in the rural New York patients, but they expect to find it there and then see how the virus acts and what it causes in these sick people.

And note, if NIH has a positive study in publication, then they have moved on, mentally, as well. As early as May 26, at least, they have known the high association. So, maybe even early May? So they are on to finding out how it acts, not whether it is in CFs patients.

This is a far cry from Strauss days. Is his picture hanging in the walls of NIH. Might want to take it down now.

Tina
  6. Wow, would this imply that the NIH/FDA studies have nailed down how to test for XMRV?

Also "expression levels" - does that mean they have a valid measure of not just infected/not infected but also how infected?

Am I interpreting that right?
  7. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

This is good to hear, Cort! I know Dr. Bell's been looking for his pediatric patients to follow-up on over the last several months so this must mean he found a good number of them to re-test.

Just for some perspective on NIH funding, it varies for different departments but the funding rate on average is about 20% if I recall right so not knowing how how many CFS grants were submitted (perhaps this data is somewhere?) and the content of applications (much is confidential info), it's hard to gauge the WPI's statements entirely.

(Also didn't WPI get $1.6 mil last year already?)
  8. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    Great!

:victory::thumbsup::victory: Dr Bell's socks must have been knocked into the next county!

And let's send up a shout of thanks to those Lyndonville patients that have let themselves be poked, prodded and tested inside and out for years, and are still game to do it again. Hero patients putting themselves on the line for all of us.
    :thumbsup:

This is great. They're already looking for answers to many of the questions we've been asking on this forum. Looking to see if it actually is causation, not just correlation. Checking for co-factors. Trying to figure out the mechanisms for how it makes us ill. Even looking into post-exertional malaise.

This is just the kind of research they should be doing. Should have done 25 years ago, for that matter.

Oooo, doggies, it's going to be a long couple of years waiting for results.
  9. Tembo

Tembo Australia

This is fantastic!!! I hope there are many more to come.
  10. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Yahooooooo. This is fantastic. Actual research into cause and effect!!!

Questions must now be raised regarding the funding of the WPI. Where is it?
  11. paddygirl

paddygirl Senior Member

Dr Bell

This might explain why Dr Bell cancelled his European tour.

I was really looking forward to him coming to Ireland, but it all makes sense now I hear about this study. No contest on which comes first.

How exciting for him to have reached this stage of his lifes work. and how exciting for all of us to have this in the hands of such dedicated and committed people. The snowball is gathering speed.:victory:
  12. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Is there any actualy news of results, or are people just hoping for the best here?

It could be he was planning to tour with positive results, and called it off when they came back negative... who knows?
  13. Doogle

Doogle Senior Member

14. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Yes the WPI got a major immune research grant for CFS as a result of the Obama stimulus package - they were the only ones to do so. Dr. Mikovits has said several times that their grants for XMRV have been rejected - why I don't know. Dr. Mikovits believes the NIAID - the natural funders for XMRV at the NIH - has turned its back on XMRV. I don't know if enough time has passed for researchers to get their grant requests done and reviewed. It could be that the new researchers grants are finally just showing up.

There's no data that I know of on # of submissions. You can do a FOIA for that; I did that a couple of years ago and found that the acceptance rate for new grants for CFS was 9%.
  15. dipic

dipic Senior Member

I assume you're referring to the XMRV study he was planning awhile back. If so, expect results soon. :Retro wink: :D
  16. shannah

shannah Senior Member

17. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

18. grant107

grant107 Jean

Ormond Beach, Fl
    Is this going to take 2 years?
  19. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

20. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Who got Lyndonville tissue samples?

When Elaine DeFreitas closed her laboratory in Miami, she transferred samples, including tissue samples from a patient who committed suicide, to P. Cheney and to R. Suhadolnik at Temple University, until she could find a research microbiologist she trusted with them. Does anyone know more about later custody of those samples?

See more popular forum discussions.