1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Hammer - Vistide and Dr. Peterson

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Cort, Jul 20, 2009.

1. jane52

jane52

Northern CA
    The oral form of Vistide is in stage 3 now. It's at a place where it will get pushed through or trashed, we don't know which. It's ready for patient trial if it makes it through.

heapsreal likes this.
  2. Rooney

Rooney

SE USA
    Hi Jane,
    Please be more specific about its status. It's doing great for transplant patients. Pushed through for what?

3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Is this related to CMX001?

Sushi

4. jane52

jane52

Northern CA
    Yes, CMX001. I asked Dr. Dan Peterson about it and he told me it's ready for patient trials, If it makes it past the stage it's at now. I don't understand Exactly, but apparently it will get the go ahead or get trashed. I am so hoping for a go ahead!

5. jane52

jane52

Northern CA
    I'm assuming he means for CFS patients with specific viruses?

6. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    There are several patient trials going on now--but we are not eligible for them. :(

Sushi

7. vli

vli

CA
    Hi Jane,

was wondering if u had any updates on how u're feeling on vistide? do u know how many patients aside from you (u don't have to name them!!) are also on vistide? thanks so much.

vli

8. vli

vli

CA
    Sorry for the non sequitor way I am asking this, but does anyone know?

9. Tristen

Tristen Senior Member

Northern Ca. USA
    Greetings all. been a while. I was on Vistide all of 2009 with Dr P. It was being CMV+ that justified the Tx for me. I made an 80% improvement on that Tx and have not relapsed since. The IV Vistide is a very dangerous drug, especially to be on it for a year like that. But I was so very sick, I trusted Dr P saying it would help me.....it did. I do not know if it's being used or is even effective for the other herpes viruses, but I suspect it is. It's indicated for HIV related CMV+ retinitis in the drug books and is not typicallly used over 3 months for that. Dr P sees the drug as the best yet for some of us me/cfs folks. I believe he will particpating in the oral form (CMX001) trials.....not sure. The oral form (if it makes it to phase 4) is sure to be one of the best drugs for us yet.

best

Little Bluestem, Ema, maryb and 2 others like this.
  10. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    thanks for that update. Im a fellow cmv'er as well. good to see other good treatments for this virus and encouraging that u have maintained your improvement since stopping visi. Im hoping the same with valcyte.

cheers!!!

Tristen likes this.
  11. Tristen

Tristen Senior Member

Northern Ca. USA
    cheers heaps!!!!!

heapsreal likes this.
  12. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Hi Tristen, nice to see you and hear you are doing well! Thats fantastic and the trail certainly sounds promissing too.

Tristen likes this.
  13. Tristen

Tristen Senior Member

Northern Ca. USA
    Greetings Snow. Hope you been doing well as possible.

snowathlete likes this.
  14. Tristen

Tristen Senior Member

Northern Ca. USA
    Whatever became of the NK study you all there down under had happening? I believe it to be key. Do you know what became of the vaccine study too?

best

15. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I dont know what happen to the vaccine study. But the nk study confirmed thatus cfs/me have poor nk function and specifically poor nk bright cell function. cd8 t cells were also said to function poorly.
    http://www.translational-medicine.com/content/pdf/1479-5876-9-81.pdf
    They are organising another study to be started soon on immunological and genomic issues in cfs/me

16. Tristen

Tristen Senior Member

Northern Ca. USA
    Thanks Heaps! My NK lytic activity remains bismal (always under 4) even when doing better. For me it's not connected to level of function, but I do believe it's a core issue. Thanks for the link.

17. alexk201

alexk201

NJ

Hi Jane, I was just wondering how you did with the Vistide treatment after all this time? I am thinking about going for it as well.

18. vli

vli

CA
    hi Alex, seeing your location, i was wondering if u might tell us where u would get it infused?

i am in hong kong and am doing badly on cidofovir (generic vistide) even though my labs are 'normal'. i wonder if you have checked with Gilead to make sure they ARE selling Vis again since they had ceased manufacture before the summer.
    http://www.ashp.org/DrugShortages/Current/bulletin.aspx?id=994

19. alexk201

alexk201

NJ
    Hi Vli.......I had no idea that Gilead ceased Vis production. I spoke with Dr. Enlander about a year ago and he told me that he would do it if I decided to pursue that route.

20. vli

vli

CA
    wow really alexk201? he wrote this on his facebook wall in April: "we have tried cidofovir on one patient three years ago with mixed result. It is quite toxic and is very expensive approx $800 per vial plus the infusion cost given twice monthly"

See more popular forum discussions.