• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Gut Microbiome and the Brain

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
That is about an animal model of "depression-like behavior in mice" who "demonstrated chronic depression- and anxiety-like behaviors." The 'model' was created via bilateral olfactory bulbectomy. The olfactory bulb is described here.

Knowing what I do about the irrelevance of animal 'models', this one seems particularly far-fetched.

I'm well aware of your opinion of animal models (have read your previous blogs) and mostly agree.

However, studies of this kind can only be found in mouse models. Although the significance of results must of course be downplayed, the organic interactions cannot be wholly dismissed.

ljimbo423

What's DGL?

Energy is the one thing that I haven't been able to improve, but my fat loss and muscle gain has given me more strength, except when I have that frustrating weakness as part of PEM and just have to wait for it to pass. I wonder whether it's a specific component of your supplement regime that has increased your energy.

I tend to think that my energy won't increase until I have fixed whatever is impairing the use of oxygen by mitochondria.

DGL is deglycyrrhizinated licorice root. The three things that have given me the most noticeable changes are aloe vera (gel extract), inulin and probiotics. Having said that, I am taking many supplements, so there is most likely some degree of synergistic effect.

Interestingly enough, the aloe vera (gel extract) has given me the most noticeable change I think. I noticed significant changes in my gut within 24-48 hours of taking a very low dose of aloe vera. I have slowly worked my way up from 25-50mg a day of a a 200:1 extract, to 2,000mg a day.

I am starting to feel less like an observer in my life and more like a participant. My daily routine keeps expanding so that I feel more productive, and that translates into a much more positive attitude.

I feel very strongly that my gut is my core issue, based on my increased level of health since starting the gut protocol. I have learned a lot through trial and error. I am consistently trying new supplements to see what works and what doesn't. I wish I could give you a single supplement that gave me a big energy boost, but I am not aware of one.

On the mitochondrial issue, I think that stems from the gut as well. From lipopolysaccharides getting into the bloodstream causing a th1-th2 immune imbalance, oxidative stress, impaired methylation (which causes more oxidative stress) and mitochondrial dysfunction (which again, causes even more oxidative stress). This is just my opinion, based on trial, error and a lot of reading. I am having a lot of success though. So like they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. : ) Jim

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
DGL is deglycyrrhizinated licorice root. The three things that have given me the most noticeable changes are aloe vera (gel extract), inulin and probiotics. Having said that, I am taking many supplements, so there is most likely some degree of synergistic effect.

Thanks for the info. I looked up deglycyrrhizinated licorice root and it looks as though it might be safe for me (I am hypertensive so have to avoid whole licorice, which is a shame as I love it!).

I found info here and here.

ljimbo423

Thanks for the info. I looked up deglycyrrhizinated licorice root and it looks as though it might be safe for me (I am hypertensive so have to avoid whole licorice, which is a shame as I love it!).

I found info here and here.

The best DGL supplement I could find is enzymatic therapy - "DGL ULTRA". It is a 10:1 extract, german chocolate flavored and delicious! Most DGL supplements are only a 3:1 extract, so you get a lot more bang for your buck.

It also has the lowest amount of glycyrrhizinic acid of any others I could find. Most have less than 3%, this one has less than 1%. Its the glycyrrhizinic acid that causes high blood pressure.

MeSci

The best DGL supplement I could find is enzymatic therapy - "DGL ULTRA". It is a 10:1 extract, german chocolate flavored and delicious! Most DGL supplements are only a 3:1 extract, so you get a lot more bang for your buck.

It also has the lowest amount of glycyrrhizinic acid of any others I could find. Most have less than 3%, this one has less than 1%. Its the glycyrrhizinic acid that causes high blood pressure.

Hmmm...not suitable for me, I'm afraid, as it contains milk products, and also seems awfully sugary. Ingredients are listed here. I get my chocolate fixes from a delicious high-cocoa, sugar- and dairy-free chocolate by Plamil. :)

Sidereal

Interestingly enough, the aloe vera (gel extract) has given me the most noticeable change I think. I noticed significant changes in my gut within 24-48 hours of taking a very low dose of aloe vera. I have slowly worked my way up from 25-50mg a day of a a 200:1 extract, to 2,000mg a day.

I am starting to feel less like an observer in my life and more like a participant. My daily routine keeps expanding so that I feel more productive, and that translates into a much more positive attitude.

I feel very strongly that my gut is my core issue, based on my increased level of health since starting the gut protocol. I have learned a lot through trial and error. I am consistently trying new supplements to see what works and what doesn't. I wish I could give you a single supplement that gave me a big energy boost, but I am not aware of one.

On the mitochondrial issue, I think that stems from the gut as well. From lipopolysaccharides getting into the bloodstream causing a th1-th2 immune imbalance, oxidative stress, impaired methylation (which causes more oxidative stress) and mitochondrial dysfunction (which again, causes even more oxidative stress). This is just my opinion, based on trial, error and a lot of reading. I am having a lot of success though. So like they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. : ) Jim

Great to hear you've found something that works for you. By the way, which aloe vera product have you been using? I had high hopes for the Swanson product based on a recommendation but when I tried it a few months back I noticed nothing.

ljimbo423

Hmmm...not suitable for me, I'm afraid, as it contains milk products, and also seems awfully sugary. Ingredients are listed here. I get my chocolate fixes from a delicious high-cocoa, sugar- and dairy-free chocolate by Plamil. :)

Although the list of ingredients make it look like it has a lot of sugar in it. It actually has less than one gram of carbs per tablet according to the label. So it must have less than one gram of sugar per tablet. I completely understand about the milk issue. That chocolate sounds like a great treat!

ljimbo423

Great to hear you've found something that works for you. By the way, which aloe vera product have you been using? I had high hopes for the Swanson product based on a recommendation but when I tried it a few months back I noticed nothing.

Thanks. I actually started with the swanson 25 mg softgels (200:1 extract). Then bought their 50 gram container of 200:1 organic powder. Interestingly enough it's suppose to act like a mild laxative, that's why many people take it. It did have a laxative effect when I first started taking it. I was concerned because I had IBS-D for over 20 years. After a week or so it completely reversed my IBS-D.

Now I am able to eat as many vegetables as a want to, without flaring my IBS. I'm sure avoiding fruits and vegetables for the last 20 years or so made my gut symptoms even worst. Although I don't eat fruit rate now because of the sugar content. I feel like adding in as many vegetables as I can will be extremely helpful. Jim

Last edited:

MeSci

Although I don't eat fruit rate now because of the sugar content. I feel like adding in as many vegetables as I can will be extremely helpful. Jim

I use varying my intake of apple to modify my bowel function. If it's too loose I may leave off fruit for a day or two. If I get constipated I have 1-2 apples a day. It seems to work well. :)

student

For me it has helped to apply – more probiotic to the rectum. I have used what I call 'open syringe' to fill pouder. Every second day I use – http://www.apo-rot.de/details/darmf...855.html?_nav=suche&_searchkeyword=wolz+pllus this probiotik pouder (up to 5 g) / I am german. It has bifido infantis. I continue my Methylation products.

I have taken the basique: starch, fiber and probiotic (plus stool from the neighbor). My Gut-bacteria health is steadily growing. I started work. I now trie to controll mouth candida daily. Specially my head is still vulnerable.

ive always had a gut feeling that breast milk may heal our guts yet ive never heard a thing about it on here or anywhere else on the net....this is no joke.

Christopher

Hi Jim - are you taking the aloe with or without latex?

Thanks.

Avengers26

Speculation alert - If an altered "diseased" ecosystem has established, then imo, it has become the "new normal". FMT will be like replacing the trees in the ecosystem. Not sufficient by itself. Our body might not even accept it on a permanent basis & revert back to the "new normal" or the diseased ecosystem.

@ljimbo423 Are you still taking the Swanson aloe organic powder. I have started taking the Trader Joe's aloe vera juice. It comes in a 1 gallon bottle & says 99% AV juice on it. It doesn't say what part of the plant it's from? Not that I know if that makes a difference. The only difference I see is that the Swanson one is a 200:1 concentrate. So far, i notice nothing different from taking it. How much are you taking & how often? How long it took before you started noticing some improvement?

ljimbo423

Speculation alert - If an altered "diseased" ecosystem has established, then imo, it has become the "new normal". FMT will be like replacing the trees in the ecosystem. Not sufficient by itself. Our body might not even accept it on a permanent basis & revert back to the "new normal" or the diseased ecosystem.

@ljimbo423 Are you still taking the Swanson aloe organic powder. I have started taking the Trader Joe's aloe vera juice. It comes in a 1 gallon bottle & says 99% AV juice on it. It doesn't say what part of the plant it's from? Not that I know if that makes a difference. The only difference I see is that the Swanson one is a 200:1 concentrate. So far, i notice nothing different from taking it. How much are you taking & how often? How long it took before you started noticing some improvement?

@Avengers26- I stopped the aloe because my irritable bowel came back and I thought it might have been the aloe causing it. I started noticing improvement in my IBS within a few days at 50-75mg a day of the 200:1 extract. Looking back now I think it was my increased intake of potatoes (feeding pathogenic bacteria) that caused my IBS flare.

I have been on the SCD for about a year or so with the exception of potatoes. Just over a week ago I started cutting out potatoes completely. Today is my first day 100% SCD only and I feel much improved from just a week ago. My energy is up and my severe allergies have dramatically improved.

My IBS is gone and I am eating over a pound of veggies a day! I am probably going to start the aloe again very soon, I just don't want to make too many changes at once. Aloe is suppose to help heal the gut, so it could be helping even if you don't notice anything for a while. Jim

Avengers26

Ok @ljimbo423 Thank you.

Yeah, i figured it might be helping me in a subtle way. So, i plan to continue it for now. It's great you upped your veggies. It's something i mean to do, too. But, one step at a time. I don't want to stretch myself too thin.

I am glad the veggies & the SCD are really helping you. Lately, i have been crazy about ice cream. Today, i vowed to myself, i am not going to buy any more ice cream for now to cut down on sugar.

Violeta

I have created this thread for the PWCFS I've noticed with scepticism or confusion towards hypothesis postulating intestinal bacteria as the psychophysiology of CFS.
The ways bacteria can affect the brain is outlined in the study below:

The Gut Microbiome and the Brain

The human gut microbiome impacts human brain health in numerous ways: (1) Structural bacterial components such as lipopolysaccharides provide low-grade tonic stimulation of the innate immune system. Excessive stimulation due to bacterial dysbiosis, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, or increased intestinal permeability may produce systemic and/or central nervous system inflammation. (2) Bacterial proteins may cross-react with human antigens to stimulate dysfunctional responses of the adaptive immune system. (3) Bacterial enzymes may produce neurotoxic metabolites such as D-lactic acid and ammonia. Even beneficial metabolites such as short-chain fatty acids may exert neurotoxicity. (4) Gut microbes can produce hormones and neurotransmitters that are identical to those produced by humans. Bacterial receptors for these hormones influence microbial growth and virulence. (5) Gut bacteria directly stimulate afferent neurons of the enteric nervous system to send signals to the brain via the vagus nerve. Through these varied mechanisms, gut microbes shape the architecture of sleep and stress reactivity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. They influence memory, mood, and cognition and are clinically and therapeutically relevant to a range of disorders, including alcoholism, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and restless legs syndrome. Their role in multiple sclerosis and the neurologic manifestations of celiac disease is being studied. Nutritional tools for altering the gut microbiome therapeutically include changes in diet, probiotics, and prebiotics.

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/jmf.2014.7000

Something that took me by surprise was the microbiome's connection with the vagus nerve. This is something I'll be looking into further as its immensely interesting due to its connection with other theorists' hypothesis. Comments on this point are especially appreciated.

Once the vagus nerve and hypothalamus have been involved in the gut toxicity and one is feeling crappy, merely adding some good bacteria to the digestive tract doesn't reverse symptoms because of the collateral damage.

Besides bacterial infection and their endotoxins, viruses may be involved and the damage they cause might be more difficult to not only stop but also reverse.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/n...-can-become-virus-collaborators/#.VbN3-OKUzGd

Some collateral damage that I can think of are neurotransmitter receptor blockage, neurotransmitter receptor autoantibodies, sclerosis of the vagus nerve, misfolded viral proteins, metal deposits, calcium deposits, of course viral and bacterial infection of the gut lining, vagus nerve sheathe, and hypothalamus. That's all for now. Thank you for your original post.

MeSci

Lately, i have been crazy about ice cream. Today, i vowed to myself, i am not going to buy any more ice cream for now to cut down on sugar.

You can buy ice cream that's free of added sugar (some companies use agave syrup but I would still probably avoid that) - or you can make it without adding sugar and maybe use xylitol instead - unless you are avoiding polyols.

ljimbo423

Ok @ljimbo423 Thank you.

Yeah, i figured it might be helping me in a subtle way. So, i plan to continue it for now. It's great you upped your veggies. It's something i mean to do, too. But, one step at a time. I don't want to stretch myself too thin.

I am glad the veggies & the SCD are really helping you. Lately, i have been crazy about ice cream. Today, i vowed to myself, i am not going to buy any more ice cream for now to cut down on sugar.

Good luck with the aloe. I hear you about not wanting to stretch yourself too thin with too many changes. I know how hard it can be cutting back on sugar and carbs. One thing about the SCD is that it allows fruit like oranges, pineapple, ripe bananas and honey as well, because they are all absorbed early enough in the gut that they don't feed the bad bugs.

That can help satisfy a sweet tooth to some degree. Maybe it would help you to eat those fruits instead of ice cream, even if you don't do the complete SCD yet?

Last edited:

Violeta

Ok @ljimbo423 Thank you.

I don't know a lot about the genetics of porphyria, but it looks like you have at least one of the genes involved. Porphyria makes you intolerant to foods with chemicals that make you detox, they actually cause pain. It makes it very difficult to get well. It can be a form of porphyria caused by chemicals, pathogens, or even mercury, it is not necessarily the type where you are born with the genetics for it.

Ice cream is one thing that helped me so much while I was at my worst. I can get a very good quality ice cream from a local organic dairy, but Three Twins makes a very good one. I needed it for calories, and sometimes it still even helps with pain.