Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Guardian Online: What I’m really thinking: the person with ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by AndyPR, Apr 16, 2016.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

http://www.theguardian.com/society/...me-myalgic-encephalomyelitis?CMP=share_btn_tw
    Just a short piece by, as far as I can see, an anonymous reader, so I've put it all below, but considering how honest and accurate it is, please consider giving The Guardian a few extra page views by clicking the link.

EDIT: As suggested, I've taken half of the quote out to encourage visits to The Guardian page itself, please do visit it to encourage more accurate ME articles from them.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Simon, Hilary, ahimsa and 34 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Excellent.

Mel9, Comet, L'engle and 2 others like this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    @AndyPR - it might be better to edit your post so that only the first para or two is there - we want to drive traffic to The Guardian to reward them for a good article, as you say. :)

AndyPR and hellytheelephant like this.
  4. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Graun's getting pretty good these days, isn't it. I'm not used to this.

BurnA, mermaid, sarah darwins and 3 others like this.
  5. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    I feel sure there's been a conversation behind the scenes at the Guardian. Maybe they took a look at what's going on with PACE and decided to get on the right side of history.

Comet, Webdog, L'engle and 7 others like this.
  6. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    I'm sure you're right about the conversation, but I expect The Graun's equivocal liberal conscience has more to do with things than them taking up anything so dangerous as a position. I fully expect Suzanne O'Sullivan to be back and badder than ever at some point

7. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester BRING BACK KINA

I think the weight of comments and article shares from pwme in response to some of the dreadful BPS biased articles knocked the Graun sideways.
    There's quite a community of housebound people that use CIF to avoid isolation and the amount of regular commenters who have ME is surprisingly high.
    I've got my fingers crossed that the Guardian will be the UK newspaper to expose the PACE scandal, their readership have given them all the information they need and the G pride themselves on getting to the real story.

AndyPandy, Webdog, L'engle and 4 others like this.
  8. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member

S W England
    Great stuff! I reckon one of the Editors has a friend/child/partner with ME. This is an excellent piece and even better, is in the mainstream press. Also an illustration rather than the usual stock photos.

rosie26, Comet, L'engle and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mrs Sowester

Yes, I really like the illustration. They're always pretty good for this series.

L'engle likes this.
  10. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

Yeah, good idea. Have now edited my original post.

Sushi and Sasha like this.
  11. Mrs Sowester

And look who they've given Guardian pick, well done with an excellent response to an offensive poster aaronc83. And well done Guardian for excellent judgement!

Comet, TiredSam, Mel9 and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.