• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Guardian CF sufferers need help and more research not misleading headlines Suzanne O'Sullivan

Cheshire

Chronic fatigue sufferers need help and more research – not misleading headlines
Suzanne O'Sullivan

A study in Lancet Psychiatry this week was reported as if exercise and counselling are magic cures for CFS. A closer reading of this timely research is required

‘Graded exercise and CBT proved more beneficial to patients than standard medical treatment, resting or living within your limits.’ Photograph: Simon Dack/Alamy

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is characterised by chronic disabling fatigue where no medical disease has been found to explain it. Fatigue syndromes have been described under a variety of different names over many centuries. And for just as long they have been regarded with suspicion and judgment. The modern conception of CFS came to the fore in the 1980s, when it was briefly (and pejoratively) labelled “yuppie flu”. Myalgic encephalopathy (ME) is a related condition considered by some to be synonymous with CFS and by others as something entirely separate. What sufferers with both these illness labels agree upon is that the word “fatigue” does not begin to do justice to a symptom that leaves those affected confined to their beds for months or even years at a time.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_b-gdnscience?CMP=twt_a-science_b-gdnscience

Last edited:
So Suzanne O'Sullivan (who has ignored all ME bioresearch for decades, and wrote a book on imaginary illnessses which included ME) is now the 'go to' medic for ME reporting in the Guardian????? ..... FFS.

Rotten PACE trial apologist piece. What is the Guardian playing at??

Sidereal

The study concludes that at two-year follow-up, patients who received this type of treatment showed a sustained reduction in fatigue and a sustained improvement in their overall wellbeing. Graded exercise and CBT proved more beneficial to patients than standard medical treatment, resting or “living within your limits”.

This is false. There was no statistically significant difference between the four treatments at 2.5-year follow-up.