• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Guaifenesin Protocol

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
However, Mark London does not agree with Bennett that guaifenesin is just placebo, and London thinks guaifenesin may be helping fibromyalgia patients via other mechanisms, such as through its ability to relax skeletal muscles, and/or via its analgesic effects.

I saw Paul St. Amand about 15 years ago and tried the treatment, under his supervision, for several months. It didn't really work for me though it seems to be helpful for some people.

I agree that his theory about phosphate excretion is most likely wrong. Guaifenesin seems to be an NMDA antagonist, although probably a weak one, and I'm guessing this is probably the mechanism behind why it seems to work for some people...

Anticonvulsant Effect of Guaifenesin against Pentylenetetrazol-Induced Seizure in Mice

Background: There have been some reports about the possible N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) antagonist activity of Guaifenesin. As drugs with a similar structure to Guaifenesin (i.e. Felbamate) and those with NMDA antagonist activity have been clinically used as anticonvulsants, the aim of this study was to determine whether Guaifenesin has an anticonvulsant effect in an animal model of seizure.

Conclusion: These results suggest that Guaifenesin possesses muscle relaxant and anticonvulsant properties and may have a potential clinical use in absence seizure.

I feel like I get better results using Magnesium Threonate and Magnesium Oil in regards to controlling NMDA activity...

Last edited:

Hip

I saw Paul St. Amand about 15 years ago and tried the treatment, under his supervision, for several months. It didn't really work for me though it seems to be helpful for some people.

I know that it was a long time ago, but can you remember if the guaifenesin protocol helped any ME/CFS patients with their fatigue or brain fog symptoms, or was it mainly just useful for fibromyalgia and ME/CFS patients with muscle pain?

As you say, since guaifenesin might be a NMDA inhibitor, it may show benefits for ME/CFS in the same way that high dose transdermal or injectable magnesium does.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I know that it was a long time ago, but can you remember if the guaifenesin protocol helped any ME/CFS patients with their fatigue or brain fog symptoms, or was it mainly just useful for fibromyalgia and ME/CFS patients with muscle pain?

I can't really say. My brain fog has gotten worse since then so I don't remember it being a big concern for me at the time. Not sure what symptoms were alleviated in those that did benefit from the treatment. During my initial visit with him he seemed to focus more on tender points and pain than anything else so I tend to think that it had more of an effect on fibro symptoms.

I also didn't understand dietary considerations back then as well as I do now so that may have been a factor in why many treatments weren't effective for me. I'm more careful these days about avoiding inflammatory foods, as per Paul Jaminet's recommendations, which seems to help increase the effectiveness of any supplement regimens that I now follow.
As you say, since guaifenesin might be a NMDA inhibitor, it may show benefits for ME/CFS in the same way that high dose transdermal or injectable magnesium does.

I think Threonate may also be a good form to consider as it's alleged to get through the BBB. I'm also using Transdermal Magnesium Oil so it's hard to tell which one is more effective. Either way, I figure I cover more bases by taking both forms.

Last edited:

rosie26

I tried guaifenesin in my early years and it did help my sinuses a bit and I think it also helped a little in other ways too at the time, but I remember stopping it for a good reason and I cannot remember why. It was well over 10 years ago.

Guaifenesin does help me, I started it in 2001. It has to be long acting and this is a good source https://www.fibropharmacy.com/store/item.cfm?code=G300V. Other comments covered the salicylate issue but I am sensitive to dietary salicylates probably from genetics, age (52), and environment http://blogs.kirkmanlabs.com/blog/2...t-methylation-sulfation-and-oxidative-stress/ Reducing oxalate foods was of critical importance to me but Dr. St. Amand doesn't have his patients limit salicylate or oxalate in food, just has them on a hypoglycemic diet if that is an issue for them. This is an interesting short article that mentions guaifenesin and links it to oxalate. http://www.coreonehealth.com/oxalates-and-their-role-in-fibromyalgia-syndrome.