• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Glutamate Blocker Namenda

adreno

PR activist
Have u tried any other neurological type drugs not including ad's and benzo's. Maybe selegline or donepezil, or one of the dopamine agonists for restless legs eg bromocriptine??
Nope, haven't tried them. Not eager to, either. But I conclude that high glutamate is not a big problem for me.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Theres also dextromethorphan/dxm that an nmda antagonist which is used by some to prevent benzo and stimulant tolerance and have read it helps withdrawal.

I mainly take zolpidem or zopiclone with maybe valium or anthistamine. On a dosage equivalent I dont use more than 10mg. I go through crappy sleep cycles unsure if it benzo tolerance or just one of those things. Normally I try to take a few days break from benzos and take dxm nightly for a few weeks at the dose recommended on the bottle. Then I go back to my usual dose.

Whats intrigued me was how quickly the brain fog went which I always seem to get in the afternoon. Looking into how memantine works then it possible attacks my issues from several angles. Also neuroprotective and may help reverse neurological damage we have, thats my assumption.

I think everyone will respond differently but its good to hear from others experiences??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Nope, haven't tried them. Not eager to, either. But I conclude that high glutamate is not a big problem for me.

I thought It interesting when I read it can help with inflammatory cytokines such as tnf alpha. I have also been looking into ways to increase dopamine which this seems like it does. The different mechanisms im finding interesting.

I was prescribed Namenda off label for severe migraines at a low dose. I started with one 7.5 mg xr capsule and worked up to 3 of these capsules. It prevented and was a rescue med for migraines as well when I began using 2 capsules. Three put me in a stupor when it interacted with other meds; amitriptyline, baclofen and tramadol. I was weaning myself off tramadol and went cold turkey and found that i didnt feel the intense pain after 1 month of 2-3 namenda a day. I do believe my body is going thru withdrawal from tramadol as the anxiety and overpowering fatigue has been present since i went cold turkey with tramadol. It has been 14 days since my last 100 mg xr tramadol pill. One day was very bad as far as agitation and anxiety but to be off prescription pain meds for me is a miracle.

I was prescribed Namenda off label for severe migraines at a low dose. I started with one 7.5 mg xr capsule and worked up to 3 of these capsules. It prevented and was a rescue med for migraines as well when I began using 2 capsules. Three put me in a stupor when it interacted with other meds; amitriptyline, baclofen and tramadol. I was weaning myself off tramadol and went cold turkey and found that i didnt feel the intense pain after 1 month of 2-3 namenda a day. I do believe my body is going thru withdrawal from tramadol as the anxiety and overpowering fatigue has been present since i went cold turkey with tramadol. It has been 14 days since my last 100 mg xr tramadol pill. One day was very bad as far as agitation and anxiety but to be off prescription pain meds for me is a miracle.

@Psydrob, amitriptyline, baclofen and tramadol all have anticholinergic actions. i find that i am very much affected negatively by these kinds of meds. i had a bad reaction to Afrin. i had some tramadol but stopped it due to my perception that it made the neuropathy worse.

i am thinking about trying 5mg memantine to see if it helps.

Last edited: