Get a Ringside Seat for Invest in ME’s 10th International Conference on 29 May
This Friday, 29 May sees the tenth International ME Conference put on by UK research charity Invest in ME (IiME) in London. The day-long conference will include 220 participants from 17 countries and will be attended by researchers, clinicians and patients.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Giardia Syndrome Strikes: Norwegian Studies Suggest Minor Bugs May Commonly Trigger CFS

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

View the Post on the Blog

AFCFS and Tito like this.
  2. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
    So, from 2010 to now, any results?

PubMed shows 83 search results for Robertson LJ. A quick review showed nothing of direct CFS merit since 2010 when the above article was published. There are two search results returned for CFS and Giardia. The article Treatment of Giardiasis gives a pretty good overview as well.

I find this type of study interesting, especially since I had untreated Giardia. But my symptoms went away in a few days time and it was about 20 years or so ago for me. It seems that if the Giardia idea were taken to be cuasitively related to CFS, there would be some distinct geographical clustering - perhaps a preponderance of CFS cases with backwoods Alaska, where I got mine.

Then, would need to add it to the growing and perhaps endless list of other things that could have been "hit and run" or in line with the "sneaky pathogen theory," as noted. Given it was hard to get a doctor to retest for Lyme and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever - the former being negative at the time I contracted the latter - I cannot imagine the reaction I would get if I asked for a 20+ year old infection from Giardia. Will have to throw it around and see. For myself, I consider Giardia to be a doubtful but possible contender.

3. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    wdb

The link at the bottome is not working. Do you know why?

GG

4. wdb

wdb Admin

London
    Thanks GG, it's because we had to post it to the blog twice as the first time it didn't post a forum thread, I've edited the link to point to the original blog article.

5. Dufresne

Dufresne almost there...

I believe PEM is likely caused by inflammation to various toxins and exhaustion of the anti-inflammatory neuropeptide system, as explained by Ritchie Shoemaker. I've read of credible people recovering from this symptom through mold avoidance. I also suspect some have recovered while receiving TPN for a relatively short while. I've postulated on another thread here that TPN might limit exposure to lipopolysaccharide long enough for neuropeptides to recover to the point that they keep inflammation at bay and interrupt the leaky gut cycle. So, yeah, I think the hit and run idea might have merit.

6. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Everything Cort brings to his long educated knowledge has to be good to see. (love the graphics thanks Cort).

See more popular forum discussions.