• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The flu...it's BAD

Wishful

My limited experience (one version of sambuca made from star anise and one from elderberries) seems to indicate that the elderberries are far more effective at boosting the immune system. Star anise doesn't affect my ME, while the elderberry version made my symptoms seriously worse, as though my immune system was strongly activated. If I really needed an immune booster, I'd try the elderberry extract first (or the sambuca, though the star anise one tasted better).

One problem for me, if I wanted immune system boosting, is that many of the boosters are antioxidants or peroxynitrite scavengers, which make my symptoms worse.

Well it's been almost 3 weeks. I thought I was on the mend, but then I stopped sleeping well. Maybe 3-6 hours per night. Apparently it's not uncommon for even healthy people to experience a post viral depression, and that's what this feels like. It's really what I feared would happen because not sleeping leads to serious crashes. I'm extraordinarily sensitive to the negative effects of sleep deprivation. So it's no longer a question of fighting the virus as much as it's a question of how to pull myself out of another monster crash.

Wishful

Yesterday (two days after a trip into town) I had what felt like flu symptoms: achey muscles, and then I nearly fell asleep in daytime, something that I generally can only do if I'm sick with a viral infection. I had elevated temperature too (only half a degree above what would be normal for me at that time of day). No congestion. It certainly seemed like a flu, but the symptoms faded after a few hours.

I've heard of the 24-hr flu. Is there a 4-hr flu too? :)

I desperately hope it's not a return of the type IV food sensitivity that my ME started with.

This is the first time in years my immune system has been normal enough to come down with a flu virus and actually fight it hard. The problem is I don't think I'm really strong enough. This year's strain is incredibly virulent and it's kicking my butt. I'm scared it's going to send me into a severe relapse. It's already been 3 nights of very bad sleep and I feel like I'm in a tailspin.

What can I do to prevent lasting harm from this? I'm on supplemental magnesium, potassium, and sodium ascorbate. I can't seem to tolerate vitamin D. It sends my magnesium needs way up. I also can't tolerate the methyl folate or methyl cobalamine.

Suggestions?

Hi!
Thats so horrible. Im also scared of flu..
Ginger + whole cloves + garlic: boil togather and then add honey and lemon or lime. Drink 2 or 3 times a day. This battles the virus for you.
Rest much and maybe someone near to you can help you to relax your mind and give you calm feeling. Worry and stress tears extra on you, especially when you are sick.
Take care!!

It's already week 5 and I'm still coughing and short of breath. I'm thinking it could be a secondary infection like Mycoplasma pneumonia. I had that years ago and I'm sure it didn't clear completely. Still having anxiety, insomnia, and weakness as well. I'm definitely somewhat improved, but this certainly is not normal. Probably off to the doctor this week.