• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Fight that Fights Pain and Prejujudice: Carol Head

Countrygirl

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2018/02/14/fight-follows-pain-prejudice/

The Fight that Follows Pain and Prejudice
February 14, 2018 by Carol Head | Leave a Comment

More than four decades ago, while a high school junior in Columbus, Indiana, I decided I wanted to run track. But I was told that girls were not allowed to compete in sports. Angry and confused—why can’t girls do sports?—I fought for and eventually won the right to start a women’s track team.

That was the start of a lifelong dedication to women’s rights—a dedication that recently found me marching with half-a-million women and men at the second Women’s March Los Angeles. Each step across the uneven pavement of downtown Los Angeles was a victory. Each step a fight. Each step filled with pride—as a woman, as an advocate and as victor over my illness. And I was proud to march with my two feminist sons.

Carol-and-sons-High-Rest-2-1-1024x1002.jpg
Carol with her two sons at the Los Angles Women’s March.

Thirty years ago, I was bedridden due to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), a disease often called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). That is why I feel blessed today to have a dream job: President and CEO of the Solve ME/CFS Initiative, which is fighting to find treatment and a cure for this disease.