• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Fermenting Gut

bertiedog

I have a definite problem with lack of stomach acid. I am 67 years old and know this is a common problem in the over 50s. My rumbling and rolling gut gets a lot worse after a course of antibiotics despite taking probiotics.

This has happened recently after having a course of Co Amoxiclav for an infected cut on my arm. Around this time I watched Dr Myhill's presentation at a recent conference where she talked a lot about the fermenting gut and she recommended very high dose vitamin c taken before bedtime to get the gut good and acid to kill off bad bugs.

I thought a bit about this and thought instead of taking it last thing at night I would take 1000 mg vitamin c with each snack and also with each meal so it has amounted to around 5000 mg daily. This is in addition to the 600 mg betaine hcl with pepsin I take with meals.

Previously I have taken lots of different natural anti-microbials but none of them made any difference to my symptoms.

It's about 3 weeks now since I have been doing this and I have noticed my gut has calmed down a lot, with far less rumbling and rolling and I haven't found it necessary to take vitamin c with every small snack (usually this is just some peanuts or a teaspoon of natural peanut butter with no sugar).

Also I started on Jarrow L Plantarum about 10 days ago because there were some studies showing it was beneficial in IBS. I should say I only have been suffering mildly with IBS but I do experience periods of persistent constipation and then at other times I find I need to go to the toilet very frequently. So far these symptoms are also improved. The L Plantarum is pretty inexpensive compared with many probiotics.

Finally I should mention that I have been taking betaine hcl for over 15 years but it wasn't sufficient to stop the bad bugs which showed up on the last Comprehensive Stool Analysis I had a couple of years ago. There was quite a lot showing up including Citrobacter.

I did hope that getting my gut more settled might help the tendency to morning headaches/migraines but so far these haven't been helped but I am grateful to Dr Myhill for her persistence regarding the fermenting gut and the reasons for it.

Pam