Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

THE FDA/NIH/HARVARD XMRV STUDY by Mindy Kitei

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Mindy Kitei, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Mindy Kitei

Mindy Kitei

THE FDA/NIH/HARVARD XMRV STUDY:
    THE SAME THING,
    ONLY DIFFERENT
    by Mindy Kitei

The just-released study detects variants of the retrovirus XMRV in most CFS patients. In addition, nearly 7 percent of the healthy U.S. controlsall of whom are blood donorstest positive, signaling the contamination of the U.S. blood supply.

Mindy Kitei
    http://www.cfscentral.com

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks mindy

3. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    WOW.

Kudos to Mindy for all the hard work. I can't even take all this in yet! Just WOW.

4. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Well done Mindy!
    Here's what I wrote in the XMRV Buzz Page

5. Mindy Kitei

Mindy Kitei

Thanks, Cort!

Mindy

6. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Noosaville, Aust
    Alter says no proven link, yet still named the virus variants CFS... This is a big endorsement

7. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Well, where else are you going to look for the bug, in healthy blood donors?

Note also that the alternative explanation, if this class of virus is not the cause, is that there must be immune defects which make us more susceptible. Compare this with the CDC statement on immunology. Either way the psychogenic hypothesis has taken a serious wound.

8. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    I just love that we have a virus named after our illness. Looks we are stuck with CFS for a while. but, it might be cool to say, "I have CFS-1 virus."

Tina

9. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Kind of makes you want to call the CDC and ask for their advice on how to treat CFS-1 virus!

10. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Great to have Mindy make some sense of this for us. THANK YOU!

11. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    I'll pass on that one! Time for some reorganization or dismantling and/or lawsuits for their negligence!

12. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

13. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Washington
    I have a question on the following that perhaps someone could help me answer:

Quote from article: "After the paper was pulled in June, the researchers revisited eight of the 25 patients Komaroff supplied. The banked blood from 15 years ago was compared with fresh blood from those eight drawn this summer. Seven of the eight remained positive. According to Komaroff, the patient who became negative hadnt recovered.

However, that doesnt mean that this retrovirus doesn't cause CFS, and it doesnt mean that the patient isnt still infected with the MLV. Since the hosts DNA becomes inextricably intertwined with a retrovirus, infection lasts for life. Besides, as noted in both the Science study and in the PNAS study, finding this retrovirus in the blood is difficult. In fact, Emory University scientists who injected XMRV into macaques this past spring reported that even when the virus was undetectable in the blood, it thrived in the reproductive organs as well as the spleen, gut, bladder, lung, liver and lymph nodes. Explained Alter, When viruses are in low titer, sometimes you can find them one day and not find them another day.

Especially regarding the "when viruses are in low titer, sometimes you can find them one day and not find them another day.": I have been waiting for the assay/antibody test before getting tested because $450.00. is more than I can afford right now. Does this indicate that depending on the day a person is tested, there is a greater chance of a false negative with the antibody/essay test than there is with the virus culture? To be safe, should a person get both the antibody test and the virus culture? Does the antibody/assay test depend on the titer they are referring to?

See more popular forum discussions.