The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Failure of Peer Review (Especially in Medicine)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

barbc56, dangermouse and ebethc like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The author himself looks to have some views based on the "about the author" section that I am very sceptical of but the article itself raises some interesting points.

barbc56 and dangermouse like this.
  3. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I wish I hadn't looked at this. Some of his arguments are interesting. But then you look at his bio, and it looks like he's motivated not simply by a desire to get to the real truth - more a desire to find a platform for certain rather questionable beliefs.

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    The problem isn't peer review, the problem is people unwilling to use their brains. Wise people do not believe a conclusion simply because it was published in a peer reviewed scholarly journal. The only truth in a scientific paper (assuming no fraud) is the method and the results. Everything else is opinion.

5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Passing peer review only admits a paper into the highest level of debate, not into scientific heaven.

6. Sbag

Sbag

peer reviews add legitimacy to papers and validate them so that everyone else doesnt have to delve into the science and intricacies of process to have to work out if it is true or not. As guideline committees etc assume that published papers speak the truth then showing peer review is flawed adds another piece to the jigsaw of evidence the ME community is trying to build.

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    That's reserved for articles published in the NEJM and The Lancet right? :lol::lol:

8. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member

UK
    I've not finished reading yet, but was struck by this
    Best retract PACE then, eh? :rofl::rofl:

One might wonder how he sleeps at night, and how he gets out of bed in the morning.

9. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Invisible Woman and dangermouse like this.

See more popular forum discussions.