Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The European ME/CFS Biomarker Landscape project: an initiative of the European network EUROMENE

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Barry53, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    I don't think this has been posted anywhere yet:-

https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-017-1263-z

Plus more ...

2. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

EUROMENE is developing into an impressive European research network for ME/CFS

Dr Eliana Lacerda is part of the ME Biobank team at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

Professor Elisa Oltra (n Spain) is carrying out research into severe ME/CFS using blood samples from the ME Biobank

CS

3. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Not many mecfs research papers cheer me up, but this one does. It is both refreshingly frank about the serious limitation of existing biomarker research (how many potential biomarkers have been trumpeted and come to naught in the last decade alone?) and a serious attempt to raise standards, for better results in future. Thanks to all the authors.

The European ME/CFS Biomarker Landscape project: an initiative of the European network EUROMENE | Journal of Translational Medicine

Conclusions
    Heterogeneity of biomarker studies with different case definitions, low number of patients, lack of matched control groups, missing validation studies and potentially subgroup heterogeneity are possible reasons why no diagnostic biomarkers are available yet. Further, as result of the low amount of funding in CFS/ME research few and often small studies were performed so far. Therefore, strategies to improve the quality and to facilitate the comparability of biomarker studies are needed (summarized in Table 3). This starts with well-defined patient cohorts using strict case definitions [47], standardized and quantitative symptom assessment for subgroup analyses, well-defined age- and sex-matched controls, and large enough cohort size and a predefined hypothesis to power the statistical analysis. Detailed description of cohorts, assays performed and results achieved are important to facilitate confirmation studies. Reproducing results in cohorts from different countries, developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for assays, and multi-center studies are important steps for evaluating the suitability of biomarkers of interest as diagnostic markers. The building of translational networks of clinical and basic research groups like promoted in EUROMENE is an important first step to achieve such goals. Finally, to promote research it is crucial to increase funding for ME/CFS which is currently still far below the budget funds for most other serious diseases in both the EU and the US funding agencies, such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH) [48].

4. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

A couple of questions for well informed people

1 Has formal work started on a biomarker project?

2 Has it received any funding from the EU or elsewhere?
    This link http://www.cost.eu/COST_Actions/ca/CA15111 , suggests there is some EU money for admin costs

3 There are some similarities with MEGA..anybody heard through the grapevine whether it has gor money from The MRC tissue fund (announcements were due "late July")

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Barry53 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.