• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The European ME/CFS Biomarker Landscape project: an initiative of the European network EUROMENE

Barry53

I don't think this has been posted anywhere yet:-

https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-017-1263-z

Abstract

Myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a common and severe disease with a considerable social and economic impact. So far, the etiology is not known, and neither a diagnostic marker nor licensed treatments are available yet. The EUROMENE network of European researchers and clinicians aims to promote cooperation and advance research on ME/CFS. To improve diagnosis and facilitate the analysis of clinical trials surrogate markers are urgently needed. As a first step for developing such biomarkers for clinical use a database of active biomarker research in Europe was established called the ME/CFS EUROMENE Biomarker Landscape project and the results are presented in this review. Further we suggest strategies to improve biomarker development and encourage researchers to take these into consideration for designing and reporting biomarker studies.
Plus more ...

charles shepherd

EUROMENE is developing into an impressive European research network for ME/CFS

Dr Eliana Lacerda is part of the ME Biobank team at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

Professor Elisa Oltra (n Spain) is carrying out research into severe ME/CFS using blood samples from the ME Biobank

CS

Simon

Not many mecfs research papers cheer me up, but this one does. It is both refreshingly frank about the serious limitation of existing biomarker research (how many potential biomarkers have been trumpeted and come to naught in the last decade alone?) and a serious attempt to raise standards, for better results in future. Thanks to all the authors.

The European ME/CFS Biomarker Landscape project: an initiative of the European network EUROMENE | Journal of Translational Medicine

Conclusions
Heterogeneity of biomarker studies with different case definitions, low number of patients, lack of matched control groups, missing validation studies and potentially subgroup heterogeneity are possible reasons why no diagnostic biomarkers are available yet. Further, as result of the low amount of funding in CFS/ME research few and often small studies were performed so far. Therefore, strategies to improve the quality and to facilitate the comparability of biomarker studies are needed (summarized in Table 3). This starts with well-defined patient cohorts using strict case definitions [47], standardized and quantitative symptom assessment for subgroup analyses, well-defined age- and sex-matched controls, and large enough cohort size and a predefined hypothesis to power the statistical analysis. Detailed description of cohorts, assays performed and results achieved are important to facilitate confirmation studies. Reproducing results in cohorts from different countries, developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for assays, and multi-center studies are important steps for evaluating the suitability of biomarkers of interest as diagnostic markers. The building of translational networks of clinical and basic research groups like promoted in EUROMENE is an important first step to achieve such goals. Finally, to promote research it is crucial to increase funding for ME/CFS which is currently still far below the budget funds for most other serious diseases in both the EU and the US funding agencies, such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH) [48].

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
A couple of questions for well informed people

1 Has formal work started on a biomarker project?

2 Has it received any funding from the EU or elsewhere?
This link http://www.cost.eu/COST_Actions/ca/CA15111 , suggests there is some EU money for admin costs

3 There are some similarities with MEGA..anybody heard through the grapevine whether it has gor money from The MRC tissue fund (announcements were due "late July")

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: