1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The effects of exercise on dynamic sleep morphology in healthy controls and patients with CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Firestormm, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    I can't see this has been posted here before but it was on Facebook yesterday and I don't recall it:
    Esther12, Simon, Bob and 3 others like this.
  2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

natasa778 likes this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    They really need to test delayed effects, not just the effects on the night that starts on the same day as the exercise. My own PEM is usually delayed by at least 24 hours, and sometimes up to a week, and the PEM includes effects on sleep.
    Esther12, biophile and Valentijn like this.
  4. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    Maybe...but I've wondered for a while whether the 24-hour to 48-hour delay might actually be the consequence of effects on sleep - maybe PEM shows up after 1 or 2 sleeps that are impaired due to the effects of the exertion. If that's the case, then some sleep disturbance would indeed show up straight away the next time you sleep after exertion, just as this study found, and then the PEM would show up the next day or the day after (24-48 hours), as a consequence of the impaired sleep. Whatever is getting hit by the poor sleep, it might take several poor sleeps for some people before reserves are run down and the physical consequences are observable. And then after that, the PEM itself (eg the pain) could then cause further disruption to sleep which is perhaps more noticeable than these more subtle REM effects. So I think this could all fit, without need to study sleep 24-48 hours after exertion in order to observe this effect, although of course it would be great to study the sleep for a week after exercise as well to get a better understanding. My own hunch is that something like what I've just described is indeed the mechanism behind the 24-hr to 1-week delay in PEM - I've suspected that for some time.

See more popular forum discussions.