1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"The Drug" - The Rituximab Story...From the Beginning to the Present....

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

View the Post on the Blog

Merry and Xandoff like this.
  2. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    Thanks for that update - it's good there is so much in the pipeline. The maintenance study is very important as the improvement in the 2011 PLoS One paper was modest as patients peaked at different times then fell back.

I was a bit disappointed that the 'whopper' study will only have 100 patients (split equally between treatment and control would give a rather modest n=50). Is this right? It was orginally billed as a large multi-centre trial, so I'd expected something quite a bit bigger.

3. niall

niall

Florida
    Hi Oceanblue, As I understand it, Dr. Klimas, Dr. Peterson, Bateman et.al. will be meeting in New York this week to discuss, among other things, conducting Rituximab trials in the not too distant future.

Xandoff likes this.
  4. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I think its more 150 people from what I read since I posted the article but the number will depend on the funding and on how good Fluge and Mella believe the diagnostic capabilities of the various centers are.....If they're not up to snuff the study will be smaller. They're very wary about false diagnoses.

taniaaust1 and oceanblue like this.
  5. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    That's reassuring, thanks.

6. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    thanks for this article..

Any study more then 3 times bigger then a first which got attention, Im happy with, as positive results again can only lead to far more studies by others on this. Others will also need to validate these results before this treatment has any hope of becoming acceptable by our medical profession.

I can only say thanks to the scientists involved in this.

merylg likes this.
  7. sensing progress

sensing progress Senior Member

Tucson, AZ
    I didn't see an interview with Dr’s Mella and Fluge in the Invest In ME newsletter. Just the article by Jorgen describing the doctor's discovery of Rituximab as a treatment for ME/CFS. Is that what you are referring to as the interview, Cort?

8. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Nice to see Cort, I did hear they were restricted by funding (aren't we and they all).

9. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    It's there - it's a short one - just after Jorgen's article - easy to miss.

sensing progress likes this.
  10. Xandoff

Xandoff Michael

Northern Vermont
    This is a great story, thanks for posting it Cort! Rituximab is definately in our ME CFS future ( I hope). In my best Jack Nicholson voice...".just wait until the pharmaceutical Mob CEO's get a whiff of this"!

11. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Dr. Kogelnik of the Open Medicine Institute is started or has started a trial..I believe its an open-label trial - You can find some on studies here....http://phoenixrising.me/treating-cf...uximab-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-studies

oceanblue likes this.
  12. dsdmom

dsdmom Senior Member

Cort, Not quite sure where you got my quote. Is this crazy brain fog or a glitch? Either way, Im not remembering this...

13. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I don't know if people have seen the patents that Fluge and Mella have filed but they may also give some insight into how they are thinking of treatments

http://www.google.co.uk/patents?id=...=dUrsT7iIG8j-2QX0lojcAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA

And a more recent one
    http://www.google.co.uk/patents?id=...=dUrsT7iIG8j-2QX0lojcAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAQ

Both are pretty comprehensive around using b cell depletion to treat ME. In the claims they seem to mention quite a few possible antibodys and then talk of a single or multiple doses

See more popular forum discussions.