1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Dr Oz Show

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by shrewsbury, Nov 15, 2009.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

oh - I feel so disheartened - okay - one step at a time.

I was happily looking for when the Dr Oz show on ME/CFS and xmrv the one with Dr Mikovits and Dr Moore that is hopefully trying to repair the INCREDIBLE damage he did by having Dr Teitelbaum on as an expert, giving false info on what ME/CFS is, and mixing it up with normal fatigue - will be on (if it's taped Nov 20 - when does it air?)

when I saw on the bottom right corner of the front page a picture of Dr Teitelbaum under the title of Experts Blog. So, trepidatiously, with sinking heart, I clicked on Dr Ts picture. That led to an article on the throid. Ah were safe, I thought.

Then, at the top of the page I noticed a box saying read all posts from Dr T uh oh

1st there is his picture and the below start of his bio (my bolds and spacing)

I couldnt look at more of the bio.

Then comes titles of the articles.

Heres one:

My Perspective on the XMRV Virus

Its the same piece of fallacious info wrapped around a sales-spiel and self promotion that he put in Psychology Today and discussed in another thread.

Heres a small taste of how bad it is.

That research is from 93, never published , peer-reviewed or replicated to my knowledge, only had 64 patients, 46 of whom he said had other diseases. If he has cured 100s of thousands as he claims since then, where is the research from the last 16 years???

And the next article is:

EFFECTIVE TREATMENT FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE (CFS) AND FIBROMYALGIA

which starts
    Here at least he quotes a study that did get published in 2001

The study took place over 100 days no future follow-up.

Sorry Im too tired to go on. You can read for yourself. I wonder what else is there from Dr T or other under CFS.

Well hopefully this up-coming show will ameliorate the damage done in the last show, and lead to the Oz team cleaning up his site as well so that it also provides accurate info with no sales.

I was delightfully surprised at how many family and friends contacted me after the 1st Oz show and said theyd no longer be watching him as the segment made him and his experts loose all credibility.

Im now contacting them to tell them about the up-coming show and my opinion that he deserves the chance to redeem himself. Hopefully hell go the distance and take care of the website too. There's so much good he can do. I'd hate to see it outweighed by damage from poor research and misinformation.

islandfinn:)
  2. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Hey finnie, I got this far into your post - up to the "uh oh" - and I feared that you were gonna tell us that he had been invited back on the Oz show. Whew. You've no idea the relief I felt when I read further and found that he's just been blabbin' away - talking out of his "where the sun don't SHINE" a$$.
  3. Marylib

Marylib Senior Member

New Zealand
    Haha

Oh I do love that! "Dr. Where-the-Sun-Don't-SHINE"

Nice to keep laughin'

Well Dr Oz is show biz and I know Dr Donnica will do her very best...but I don't let myself get too hopeful ....

It is all "tv-ratings-advertising-business-as-usual", kids, so I hope we can celebrate the victories (gently;)) and not let the defeats get us down too much.
  4. Katie

Katie Guest

5. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    xmrv possitive patient

I do believe that there is going to be a xmrv possitive patient on the show taping Friday
  6. Marylib

Marylib Senior Member

New Zealand
    Don't tell me til it's over..

Sure hope Dr Donnica does not end up on the surgical cutting room floor -- we are rooting for you, Dr. Donnica.

I for one, however, will try not to think about it.

Reason being, I just looked at Dr Oz webpages and saw that he give sage advice for all kinds of illnesses including "Chronic fatigue disorder."

I kid you not.
  7. bee33

bee33

Dr. Oz episode on CFS is tomorrow

The Dr. Oz show episode on CFS is on tomorrow, Thursday Dec 3.
  8. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    So did anybody see the show? I woke up late this afternoon very ill and I completely forgot to watch it. I'm hoping it will be put up on YouTube or that we can access it somewhere somehow.
  9. Koan

Koan Be the change.

Oh, poor wee Tee!

There is a thread with comments and someone is sure to YouTube it.

Feel better just as soon as you are able.

It will still be good when you see it.

go back to sleep

if you can.
  10. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    Thank you Koan. You're so sweet. :) I'll hunt for the thread. I'm up now.

I love your Sig. I've read most of Thich's books several times and I've seen him Live a few times, and I always fell asleep...lol. His teachings have really helped me get through.
  11. andreamarie

andreamarie Senior Member

I watched it, but I can't find the thread.
  12. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Look under XMRV
  13. bee33

bee33

Thanks Kati, I couldn't find the thread either. I watched the show as well and was wondering why it wasn't being talked about here. (I guess I'm just too tired to find my way around... :) )

The thread is here:
    http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?t=1312

See more popular forum discussions.