1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The De Meirleir Experience

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

thanks snow. i understand he does not do this often..the IV...but i have been reading and if one has neuro problems, IV is recommended - at least when it comes to lyme bacteria. perhaps he doesnt do it often because most of his patients are from afar
    xoxox

2. liquid sky

liquid sky Senior Member

IV antibiotics are stronger and more effective than when taken orally. They give a good swift kick to the bacteria and then the oral antibiotics can be used to continue therapy.

3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    This is the approximate number of bacteria tested for in Redlabs Metagenomics gut test. This is an anaerobic test using DNA.

Sushi

Valentijn likes this.
  4. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I know people who tested positive for Lyme used to attend the Break-spear clinic daily for IV a/biotics and then hopefully go on to have the nurse via their GP carry it on at home, others used to live down near the clinic for months. The reason for IV a/biotics is it floods the blood immediately, faster acting because if doesn't have to go through the gut, so its far more effective at targeting bacteria, I don't think its necessarily different a/biotics to the oral ones, this is what they would do in a hospital setting.
    KdM's setup isn't conducive to treating with daily IV a/biotics I don't think? Unless someone has had them?
    He tests stool and blood for bacteria/parasites/viruses and then prescribes a/biotics, as far as I know he doesn't do long term a/virals maybe someone else knows differently, he prescribed 2 weeks of acyclovir for me, not a lot of good I think, that's the standard treatment in the UK:(

5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    If you are staying in Brussels the set-up for IV abx is good at KDM's clinic, but if you live elsewhere you would have to convince a local doctor to administer them--I think that is the issue.

Sushi

6. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Yes thats what i meant Sushi - most of his patients travel from afar and couldn't afford to stay for the months it would take of IV a/biotics for say Lyme treatment. I know B/spear used to run a 7 day a week treatment, in that respect they were very good - if you had very very deep pockets full of cash......

7. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Yes, I had IV ceftriaxone 6 days a week for 12 weeks from the Breakspear for alleged Lyme and co-infections. Administered by a nurse at home; luckily my husband's BUPA health insurance covered it. It did nothing for me, good or bad. Nor did any other oral abx which I was on for 2 years or more.

8. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    I wonder what the success rate is for treating lyme , or chronic (?)lyme with AB's? I mean, i wonder how many patients go into remission from a me/cfs- like state after treatment for lyme?

It doesn't seem miraculously successful from what i've seen anecdotally on the web.

9. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    When I had my treatment I was in contact with quite a lot of others also trying abx for alleged Lyme. One or two improved a bit but no-one recovered.

10. wallace

wallace

Yes but what is his success rate overall? How effective is he in getter people better?

It seem to me focussing on the gut as well as chronic infections is a useful strategy to follow but what if lyme coinfections such some strains of Bartonella and Mycoplasma dont show up in any existing test.? That is the contention of herbalist Stephen Buhner in his new book Healing lyme coinfections.

ME/cfs patients need to pay more attention to developing treatment strategies for chronic lyme or MSIDS as its called as it does affect us!!

11. Nanou

Nanou

Toronto
    Sorry I ve been looking but I haven t found the test de meirleir is doing? Are they the same as the burn out Klinik in Munich? Any answer is very much appreciated.

12. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands

See more popular forum discussions.