The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The control group is out of control.

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Sean, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Esther12, zzz, GracieJ and 3 others like this.
  2. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    I like the reference to parapsychology

I've never understood why if a parapsychologist conducts an unblinded subjective trial with positive results it's methodologically flawed worthless nonsense but if a psychologist conducts an unblinded subjective trial with positive results it's wonderful research that should be widely and uncritically reported.

3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Because psychiatry and psychology have managed to convince the world that they are a science, experts and know what they're doing even without appropriate methodology.

L'engle and green_monster like this.
  4. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

the latter is common and normal practice not sure about the former.

green_monster likes this.
  5. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Thanks for this, @Sean, I found it really interesting!

The most relevant part for us is the bit about the researcher allegiance effect in psychotherapy. If you do a metanalysis of all psychotherapy studies meeting certain quality criteria, and also include as a predictor the particular allegiance of the researchers (which therapy they "believe in"), you get a massive effect: Cohen's d = 0.54, which is huge, p > .001.

In other words, you can predict with pretty good accuracy what the results of a psychotherapy study will be just by knowing what the researchers themselves believe in.

@Dolphin posted on this in an earlier thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-overview-of-reviews-munder-et-al-2013.22466/

L'engle, Esther12, Sidereal and 3 others like this.
  6. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

what happens if you exclude that effect?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Woolie likes this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

When rheumatologists (?) study CBT and GET for CFS, they find it's harmful (worse physical function and pain scores): Health-related quality of life in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: group cognitive behavioural therapy and graded exercise versus usual treatment. A randomised controlled trial with 1 year of follow-up.

As for psychotherapy studies, I wonder what happens when researchers study a therapy they dislike / don't believe in.

L'engle, Sean, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  8. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

In the sixties i believe behaviourists studied psychoanalysis and came to the conclusion that the more psychoanalysis a person had the less likely it was that the person would recover.

L'engle, Sean, Woolie and 1 other person like this.
  9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    The lesson is: Be careful what you measure. What you think you are measuring might not be what you are actually measuring.

L'engle likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.