• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"The continuing trials and tribulations of PACE" by Paul Whiteley PhD

slysaint

"I want to next include the paper by Luis Nacul and colleagues [4] into proceedings, and a role for "selection bias and disease misclassification" when it comes to studies on CFS (and myalgic encephalomyelitis, ME). To quote from them: "When studies using the broad Oxford criteria... were excluded, a virtual disappearance of effect for graded exercise therapy (GET), cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and other psychological therapies recommended by the NICE guidelines (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.. was revealed." Guess which criteria (among the many available) were used in the original trial?"

the paper by Luis Nacul and colleagues:

"Even if we assume differences in methodology and geographical variations in prevalence, it is clear that rates are influenced markedly by the diagnostic criteria used. Brurberg et al. (2014) also showed that the Oxford criteria (Sharpe et al., 2015) yielded the highest median prevalence across studies, 1.5 per cent, 15 times greater than that obtained using the Canadian criteria, albeit in different populations. If it is assumed that the Oxford criteria always capture Canadian-positive cases, then, based on the above figures, we expect that of a sample of 15 cases selected using the Oxford criteria, 14 will not meet the Canadian criteria. Therefore, if Oxford-positive cases are used to test a hypothesis related to a specific pathophysiological process observed in Canadian-positive cases, this could lead to the selection of 14 non-cases (false positives) for every 15 recruited; an unacceptable level of misclassification."