Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

the contagion spreads ... MUPS in NZ

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Hutan, May 21, 2017.

1. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    The resource utilisation of medically unexplained physical symptoms
    Sep 2016

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5011389/

Okay, so remember this is NZ's largest District Health Board serving 600,000 people. In six months of hospital discharge records, they found 49 people diagnosed as having MUPS.

And how much did each of these burdens on society cost the health system for a year? The median hospital costs totalled GBP$1221 (i.e per patient). Around half of the patients were unreasonable enough to visit the hospital more than once.

Of the 49 patients, 23 patients (46.9%) had MUPS in an organ system corresponding to a comorbid physical diagnosis, such as atrial fibrillation co-existing with non-cardiac chest pain.

But surely 49 MUPS in six months out of a population of 600,000 is too low??? After all, UK estimates suggest these muppets greedily use 25% of outpatient consults and 8% of hospital bed days.

Ah, the problem is the NZ health system just isn't diagnosing these people well enough.

And what do these people need? "relatively low-cost psychosocial interventions such as CBT"

Arrghh

Edit, for some reason I don't have an editing menu bar today - can't make quotes or change fonts. Second edit - I restarted my computer and the editing menu bar appeared.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    aaron_c, hixxy, AndyPR and 7 others like this.
  2. Chezboo

Chezboo NOT MY BOARD

OMG, I'm a total MUPPET with a massive potential future risk of NZ residence. It's not funny, I know it's not funny, and yes I am being a little light with the subject matter. It's just that I wish there was some escape from the MUS monster! The Dutch have started a serious MUS campaign, I hope there will soon form a UK one. I will get behind them as much as I can. Seems MUS is the next world pandemic but one mainly for Zebras (not I might add, that Zebra's are as rare as they are cracked up to be but that's another story).

Never Give Up and Hutan like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    MUSes are being pushed in at least some large hospitals in Australia.

Hutan likes this.
  4. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Remind all these scum that the SAME kind of assholes as themselves touted Eugenics a century ago, and where that led to and that it wasn't based on Science despite the SAME kind of assholes as themselves demanding it was.

Then threaten them with civil and criminal legal action.
    They are doctors etc, and thus any mistreatment, physical harm, false imprisonment and death of patients is on THEIR heads.

that's the only way to deal with this.
    This evil has bugger all to do with the role of a physician or science, it's ideology, arrogance, inhumanity and greed.

sarah darwins and Hutan like this.

See more popular forum discussions.