1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Chickenpox & Shingles Poll

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by BadBadBear, Aug 22, 2014.

?

Have you had Chickenpox/Shingles?

1. No, I've never had Chickenpox or Shingles.

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. I have had Chickenpox but not Shingles.

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  3. I have had Chickenpox and had Shingles once.

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. I have had Chickenpox and had Shingles more than once.

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    Have you had Shingles or Chickenpox? If you feel like it, please leave a comment at what age you had shingles.

I have had both, I had Shingles at 38.

2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Community Support Volunteer

USA
    I had chickenpox at age 11 but never had shingles. However when recently tested for many viruses, I had positive IgM for VZV which I believe is the virus behind shingles? So it made me wonder if I have shingles/herpes virus hiding out in the nervous system even though I never outwardly had shingles?

BadBadBear likes this.
  3. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    I had chickenpox three times as a child (which isn't supposed to happen-usually once you've had it, you have immunity). Perhaps a clue to immune issues early on? Not sure.

zzz, BadBadBear and Wildcat like this.
  4. OverTheHills

OverTheHills

New Zealand
    me too! good to meet someone else 'special':ill:

dancer and BadBadBear like this.
  5. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    I don't remember having chicken pox, but tested positive for the virus in my early 20's, so I must have had it. I've had shingles at least 3 times since I got ME, so in my late 40's, early 50's.

Valentijn and BadBadBear like this.
  6. Wildcat

Wildcat Senior Member

I had Chicken Pox twice as a child .... a few years apart.

BadBadBear likes this.
  7. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Narcissism = lack of self awareness

Left Coast
    I never had either yet I tested positive for varicella zoster a few years ago.

BadBadBear likes this.
  8. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Chicken pox pre-puberty. Shingles 58 yo., 5 years into ME. It emerged when I was engaged in an esoteric practice re inner male/female, then it was gone.

BadBadBear likes this.
  9. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    I can not remember being sick with chicken pox or the measles - even mumps I can not remember. If I did have them, they were pretty light, I think.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    BadBadBear likes this.
  10. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    Chicken pox as a 1 year old, shingles at 22, many years before ME.

BadBadBear likes this.
  11. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Had chickenpox twice. Once as a child and once as an adult which helped kick off cfs. Recently had blood test to check for pox antibodies, will get results in a few weeks. Doing this as also had ebv with igg antibodies and tested negative a few years later? ?

BadBadBear likes this.
  12. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

I had chickenpox for the first time as a teenager, after Infectious Mono.
    So far no shingles.

heapsreal and BadBadBear like this.
  13. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    I was post viral cmv mono when I got the pox the second time.

NK17 likes this.
  14. zzz

zzz Senior Member

Oregon
    Yes, it is.
    Once you have any herpes virus, it's with you for life. So yes, you definitely have VZV in your nervous system.

As for me, I first came down with shingles at age 38, during a relapse from one of my earlier ME episodes. The next time was at age 46, at the same time I had my final relapse, which has lasted until now (16 years). This happened exactly one day after I had an old herpes zoster lesion removed because it had turned carcinogenic. A couple of years later, I had my final case of shingles.

Both of the last two cases were much milder than the first one.

My chickenpox at age 5 was one of the worst cases my doctor had seen. I was literally covered head to toe with the chickenpox lesions, even my eyelids. The lesions were side by side - there was virtually no uninfected skin. I really did look like a plucked chicken! It was very painful, and I ran a high fever. I still remember it clearly today. All those bottles of Calamine lotion...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  15. Gingergrrl

USA
    @zzz Do you mean that VZV IgM antibodies are for both chicken pox and shingles even if someone has never had shingles? For some reason I thought VZV was just for shingles which is why I was confused to have IgM for VZV when I'd never had shingles.

BadBadBear likes this.
  16. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    VZV is varicella (HHV-3), the virus that causes chicken pox in the primary infection and shingles when it reactivates. Once you've had chicken pox, you can get shingles if your immune system doesn't keep the VZV latent -- just like EBV, CMV, or HHV6 can reactivate. They're all viruses in the same family. They establish permanent latent infections in everyone who ever got them

Herpesviridae

Gingergrrl, NK17, ahmo and 1 other person like this.
  17. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    I hear ya. At 31 second episode of pox my mouth would bleed brushing my teeth. Lucky also I didn't eat much because even me Behind would bleed wipping it. I remember the temp was in the minuses where we were living and I had a raging temp for several days and the only way I fell asleep was with an ice pack either side of my head. It was one of the worst times I can remember.

NK17, zzz and BadBadBear like this.
  18. Gingergrrl

USA
    @zzz I guess my question is, if I had chicken pox at age 11 and have never had shingles, why was my VZV IgM positive last month? I understand the IgG being positive. Does this mean I have active VZV somewhere in my body or not necessarily?

NK17 likes this.
  19. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Its possible to get internal shingles so no outwards signs that normally present like the typical shingles rash. This i found on a quick google but u can find more http://www.buzzle.com/articles/internal-shingles-symptoms.html .

Valentijn, Gingergrrl and NK17 like this.
  20. zzz

zzz Senior Member

Oregon
    When the VZV is just dormant in the nervous system, you generally shouldn't get a positive IgM for it. A positive IgM generally means you do have an active infection, although if you've had chickenpox, you may even have an active VZV infection (such as shingles) without an elevated IgM. What @heapsreal said is also true, but your result also has to be interpreted in the context of your EBV infection. Cross reactions on the various herpes tests are known to occur, so your high VZV IgM may simply be reflecting your EBV infection. The standard ELISA test is susceptible to these cross reactions, while the newer, glycoprotein-based tests are more specific, and much less susceptible to cross reactions. Do you know which type of test you had?

In any case, VZV is treatable by Famvir, just like EBV. And like other herpes viruses, it should also respond to Zantac.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.