Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Brain's Connection with Your Hands and Depression

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Wally, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Wally

Wally Senior Member

http://www.everydayhealth.com/healt...gupta-using-your-hands-to-heal-your-head.aspx (Video embedded in link)

"Carrie and Alton Barron met in medical school. They married and made a life together, but they never expected to work together. She is a psychiatrist and he is a hand surgeon. Their two disciplines would seem to be miles apart.

Then they noticed their patients had something in common: When they were using their hands, their mental health improved.

“People started coming in and talking about activities they had done with their hands over the weekend that had lifted their mood,” Carrie says. She remembers one patient who was struggling with depression: “Something broke in his apartment and he fixed it and he just felt euphoric.”

Alton saw the other side of that equation — people who lost the use of their hands after an injury. He witnessed “the significant mood depression that occurs when people lose the ability to do what they need to do.” He saw that not only in craftspeople who made a living with their hands, but also in ordinary people who could no longer cook a meal or tie their shoes.

Those observations evolved into a book they wrote together and called “The Creativity Cure.” They call it a “prescription” for avoiding and alleviating depression. . . ."

(Click the link above for to read full article and watch video.)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    justy, CFS_for_19_years and ahmo like this.
  2. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Never knew that.

3. adreno

adreno PR activist

I'm sure he means the brain's motor cortex.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Why are they surprised that not being able to cook a meal or tie one's shoes is depressing?

Revel, justy, ukxmrv and 1 other person like this.
  5. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Maybe they're just happy to do concrete activities instead of psychoanalyzing themselves in the hope that magically their health problems will go away once they gain insight.

Cheshire and Valentijn like this.
  6. adreno

adreno PR activist

There is also the fact that motor activity facilitates dopamine release -- this is usually why children with ADHD fidget.

7. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

i apologize for being cynical but to me this sounds like just another "miracle cure".

sounds more like mood instability.

for obvious reasons. People who lose their leg or eyesight don't get depressed?

Valentijn likes this.
  8. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    There's also the effect of distraction. If you're knitting one and purling two, it's easier to forget that you're been sitting or lying on a bed 18 hours a day.

Little Bluestem and Snowdrop like this.

See more popular forum discussions.