• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Book of Job

Carrigon

I was just sitting here thinking about the Book of Job from the Bible. And how it actually parallels so much of what we go through. Job never did anything wrong. Then everything was taken away from him. And everyone blamed him for his suffering. I haven't read it in a very long time. But I still remember that part. Everyone was like, you must have done something to deserve it and it's all your fault. From what I remember, in the end, God gave him alot back. And I hope one day, we get such a happy ending.

Nielk

You are right about the parallel. Job was really a righteous person, yet all the calamities happened to him.
It wasn't his fault. It's the age old question of why do good people suffer?
There is no logical answer to this dilemma.
God told Job " was Job there when God created the world?". In other words, we humans cannot understand the ways of God and why he does things.
When Job accepted that fact, he lived another 140 peaceful years and most of the things he lost were given back to him.

It's hard to keep faith when we suffer but like you said, Carrigon, hopefully we will all be like Job and our health will be restored.

3CFIDS@ourhouse

still me
I love the book of Job now more than ever! Since CFS, have you had a friend like Job's friends? They started out pretty well, just coming to sit with Job and be quiet because his misery was so great. But then they had to "explain" things- sound familiar?;) It is such a classic story of good and evil. The destroyer is determined that he can make Job curse God, but although Job does a lot of questioning and complaining, he never turns away from his creator. In the end, God rebukes Job's friends and shows Job the smallness of his understanding. Job says "I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you".

This is right where I live! In the midst of illness and pain, being misunderstood, wondering if the struggles will ever end, God shows me how little I understand and how great He is. The story is not over yet!

I love the book of Job now more than ever! Since CFS, have you had a friend like Job's friends? They started out pretty well, just coming to sit with Job and be quiet because his misery was so great. But then they had to "explain" things- sound familiar?;) It is such a classic story of good and evil. The destroyer is determined that he can make Job curse God, but although Job does a lot of questioning and complaining, he never turns away from his creator. In the end, God rebukes Job's friends and shows Job the smallness of his understanding. Job says "I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you".

This is right where I live! In the midst of illness and pain, being misunderstood, wondering if the struggles will ever end, God shows me how little I understand and how great He is. The story is not over yet!

Oh how true that is!!!
It seems that everyone that I know, who is a Christian, has pointed me toward the book of Job because of how much he struggled, and how much I struggle. Before I got sick, I would have never seen the importance of that book but now, I'm so happy that God does not abandon us! Even when we think he must have left us, because we are in such struggles.

I look forward to the day (whether it be in this life or the other side of eternity, heaven) when I'm able to "run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint."